Seat post breaking saddle rails - need new one.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gentlegreen

Seat post breaking saddle rails - need new one.

Post by gentlegreen »

A second saddle has just broken where the rails meet the clamp at the front of the post (SPA Nidd - only lasted 12 months), so I have to assume it's the seatpost clamps and I'm now faced with the great joy of breaking in a new saddle.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap one - or a definitive way to file the clamps so they don't do it again ?

thanks.

seatpostclamp.jpg
Brucey

Re: Seat post breaking saddle rails - need new one.

Post by Brucey »

that is the back of the clamp isn't it? Is that where the rail failed?

I think if you have steel rails, especially chromed steel rails, that are not very well made (or imperfect in any way) and you are heavy and/or ride a lot on bumpy trails, then you can expect trouble with breaking saddle rails.

Some (non-definitive) suggestions;

1) file a radius onto the clamp edges, so that there is ~1/4" of rail that isn't supported when the rail is straight, but does contact and support the rail in a smooth curve when there is a big load on the saddle. This is difficult to do well.

2) buy or modify a seat pin so that it allows the saddle rail to go into a four-point bend rather than a pair of constrained cantilever bends. Many with two separate top clamps are (or can) work in this way.

3) consider getting a seat post with a different layback which gives a lower bending moment onto the saddle rails.

If the break was in any way corroded when it failed, there may be a corrosion element at work here; if so, almost anything that stops the weather from getting in will help matters.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gentlegreen

Re: Seat post breaking saddle rails - need new one.

Post by gentlegreen »

Actually there's a pronounced burr on the top half, so I reckon that's where it needs filing.