longer stem on older race bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Elefantman

longer stem on older race bike?

Post by Elefantman »

Evening all,
I'm getting back into cycling after a fairly long break.. My bike of my teens was a Raleigh pro sport 501.. And I've recently dragged it out and have enjoyed a few rides.. But it feels small.. Something I don't remember it being when I last rode it!
So its a 54cm frame (54cm seat tube/55cm top tube) and I'm 5'11 so according to most of the internet blarb its too small and I should be riding a 56/58cm framed bike..
That said the seat is high enough.. Its just the reach for the bars that feels short... So I'm just wondering if a longer stem may help? Its currently got one which is 50mm... Would a 100mm one make a difference? Could it make the bike handle oddly?
Anyway.. Thoughts please?
I have the money to buy something else... But I'd be sad to get shot of the old bike..
Brucey

Re: longer stem on older race bike?

Post by Brucey »

that frame is a bit small for someone 5'-11" but longer stems do exist and that may sort you out if you are attached to the bike.

If you want the bars higher as well then there are tall and long quill stems (eg made by nitto) or you could try a quill to A-head converter and then an A-head stem onto that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

Swap your 2" stem for a 3" (or 4") at a co-op, online or a bike repair shop.

rgds, sreten.
markfh

Post by markfh »

Another source of quill stems is Velosolo http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopbar.html. They do stems of various lengths and also of two different heights although on their website the dropdowns do not give the option of the longer (higher) quill.

To quote from their website "Note: standard model in all sizes above has a 130mm quill with max extension of 63mm. A longer quill (180mm with max extension of 113mm) is now available in two options only; 25.4mm x 80mm black and 26.0 x 80mm polished. Please email to request these options or use 'send a message to seller' when checking out."

I have not used them so cannot comment on their quality but they might be worth checking out if you want a taller stem.