Multi-purpose pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Multi-purpose pedals

Post by 531colin »

Well, it was a proper rough-stuff crossing then.....but I actually prefer it now theres a bridge over Maize beck.....must be old, or something....

One day, I met a bloke on the bridge over Maize beck....all those miles of track, of course, we met on the bridge.
He had tweed jacket, brown brogues, black Labrador, rucksac....I had the bike of course......
We stared at each other in disbelief, really....I said "OK, I'll say it......what the heck are you doing here?" He replied that he was walking the Pennine way with his dog, what was wrong with that, and whats with the bike? I said I was just out for a ride, and the dog seemed to be enjoying his walk. We parted the best of friends.......
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've got a couple of pairs of these - one pair on my shopper and the other on my indoor turbo. One pair is white the other black. Not the most pleasing to the eye but very functional and descent bearings and they have reflectors.

:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Thanks for the varied suggestions.

The Speedplay pedals look clever, but they are seriously expensive and wouldn’t resolve my problem with mixed usage – though I notice there’s a cleat cover available.

I have no pedal-related fit issues. The old Look Delta system is much maligned these days, but it has always worked okay for me.

531colin: you mentioned you don’t use your Campagnolo pedals. So what pedals do you use?

markfh wrote:It depends what you call serious cycling. Although it seems that you have to use SPD's to be taken seriously to my mind there is a lot to be said for a flat (platform) pedal and traditional toe-clips and straps with the straps loose enough so that you can slip your foot out relatively easily.

This guy does huge distances with flat pedals without any kind of clips or straps. I have nothing against that approach or your approach, but I like clipless pedals. It’s just I sometimes do short rides in the city, and in those cases I want to wear street shoes (not even normal-looking SPD shoes, though I know many like those).

I think I’ll go for the PD-T780 or PD-A530 and choose an SPD shoe with a stiff sole later. Hmm, the A530 is a fair bit cheaper …
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rjb wrote:
I've got a couple of pairs of these - one pair on my shopper and the other on my indoor turbo. One pair is white the other black. Not the most pleasing to the eye but very functional and descent bearings and they have reflectors.

:wink:

I'm sure they work better than they (ahem) 'look' but that wouldn't be too difficult! I remember these eventually being sold off for £15 a pair or something. (It was a cheap way of getting new bearings for other look pedals...). It was shame really because the concept wasn't that bad, but the product seemed neither fish nor fowl.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

OnYourRight wrote:........

531colin: you mentioned you don’t use your Campagnolo pedals. So what pedals do you use?............. …

Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich »

I've got Wellgo QRD (Quick Release Device) pedals on my touring bike, which I purchased very cheaply from Clas Ohlson. I've got flat pedals for when I'm pootling about, plus SPD pedals for my commute/long distance stuff. Swapping between the two takes seconds.