Multi-purpose pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
OnYourRight

Multi-purpose pedals

Post by OnYourRight »

I have just one bike and intend to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. I’ve been switching between Look road pedals with Time shoes for long rides and flat pedals with everyday shoes for quick jaunts in the city.

I’m sick of swapping pedals and also worried I’ll wear out my cranks with all the pedal swapping. What’s more, my Time shoes are getting a bit ragged. So I’m looking at all options.

Having searched the forum, it seems almost everyone uses Shimano SPDs of one type or another. There are also some fans of dual flat-and-SPD pedals like the PD-T780 and PD-A530.

I have a few questions:

1. To begin with, what is the functional difference between the PD-T780 and the PD-A530? They look very different yet seem to do the same thing.
  2. Secondly, are there any other flat-and-clipless pedals I should consider? For example, does anyone make pedals with a flat side and a side compatible with traditional Look Delta road cleats? That might interest me. I’ve never had SPDs and am happy with the Look Delta system.
  3. Finally, if you were choosing a new pedal system and shoes for both ‘serious’ cycling and going to the post office, what would you choose?
Thanks.
Bicycler

Re: Multi-purpose pedals

Post by Bicycler »

I don't use clipless pedals so I can't help much. However, one of my work colleagues used something like this: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... tAod7hEAQQ for the weekday commute in normal shoes and took it off for the evening weekend rides in spd shoes. So that's another idea.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That is a clever idea, and something I would think about for my Campag pedals. (similar to Look)

I have some old cleats, so with a bit of fettling, I could knock up some sort of platform. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

to add a little fat to this fire, you could make a LOOK-to-flat converter, using a cleat and an ersatz pedal top (perhaps with a shorty toe-clip too).[edit- too slow with that one!]

But otherwise;

1) PD-T780 has better quality bearings (but you are unlikely to notice the difference after a few thousand miles), have reflectors and would suit wider feet/street shoes better. Cornering clearance is a bit worse, but you might be on your ear before you notice.

2)Look used to make a leisure pedal that was as you describe (RS26?) but it didn't really catch on. IIRC it didn't look like a quality product (IIRC there is a pic on velobase). I am not sure that there is a modern version or not.

3) After trying a few different ones over the years I am pretty happy with SPDs myself. However if I was doing mostly 'serious' miles I might go for the PD-A520 (or PD-A600) model, because the shoe is better supported on the SPD side. For nipping down the shops I'd buy (or more probably make) converters. The only things that would strike a note of caution would be if you had a peculiar fitment issue or you twist your foot within each and every pedal stroke; this would cause me to gravitate towards speedplay pedals because they have a super-customisable fitment scheme, easily the best off the shelf. Considerable ingenuity is required to get a similarly good fit with other systems.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Still trying to envisage multi purpose pedals. Presumably one of the purposes is to propel a bicycle but what are the others? I know some are called egg beaters but I doubt they'd work very well at the task.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Same concept as multi-purpose shoes, Pete.....you know, the ones that take cleats but you can walk in them. :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

531colin wrote:Same concept as multi-purpose shoes, Pete.....you know, the ones that take cleats but you can walk in them. :wink:

They're not multi purpose shoes they're just shoes.... lol
Anyhow are there any cleated shoes you can't walk in? Ok you might walk a bit funny but even with look cleats you can still walk...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Bicycler wrote:I don't use clipless pedals so I can't help much. However, one of my work colleagues used something like this: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... tAod7hEAQQ for the weekday commute in normal shoes and took it off for the evening weekend rides in spd shoes. So that's another idea.

I have those on my pedals but I never remove them, unless for a deep clean and service.
The weight of the platform (not much) pulls the pedal down so it always sits cleat side up. They're brill.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

For me, it wouldn't be any point in having SPDs that take shoes I can walk in, because you have to buy special shoes in the first place. I don't like training shoes.

I use road cleats and road shoes and I ride on the roads and hardly ever get off before getting home. If I do get off, I can still walk. Often call in the pub after a long ride! :D

I'd like normal pedals for normal shoes as well as road pedals for road shoes on the same bike, so I'm is the same quandary as the OP.

I swap my pedals as and when required, but it's not often.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pete75 wrote:
Anyhow are there any cleated shoes you can't walk in? Ok you might walk a bit funny but even with look cleats you can still walk...

understatement of the century. Walk?
...yeah.... like a duck.

Quack Quack.

'Hobble' would be closer to it.... :roll: :lol:

my choice is MTB race shoes; stiff as road shoes when you are riding, but you can walk in them, without looking (or feeling) like a duck.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think you're wrong Brucey.

In the old days, I had road shoes with a chunky cleat that had a slot in it that engaged with the rear plate of the pedal. Shoe was held tight by clip and strap. Yes, walking was an issue as you describe.

These days, I use clipless Campag - similar/rip-off Look - and together with the large delta and the rubber stoppers on the shoe heels and toes, plus rubber cleat covers if I fit them, I can walk almost normally. In fact I could run if I so desired.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Bicycler wrote:I don't use clipless pedals so I can't help much. However, one of my work colleagues used something like this: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... tAod7hEAQQ for the weekday commute in normal shoes and took it off for the evening weekend rides in spd shoes. So that's another idea.

I have these fitted. they are Ok for a very short cycle, but I would want to use them for anything more than 1/2 a mile or so. I just have them fitted as they provide reflectors for SPD pedals.

IN answer to origanl poster out of the two mentioned I would choose the XT pedals
NUKe

Post by 531colin »

No, no, no.
I'm talking about shoes you can walk in.
Like walking up Cross fell, or Ingleborough, or High Street.
(that's High Street, or the local high street, if you catch my drift)
And that's the point. Special shoes that are efficient on the bike, and don't limit me for walking.
Why put up with second best either on or off the bike?

BTW, I have a pair of Campag. Record pro fit titanium pedals that came in a box of bits....are they any good? I won't use them, are they worth putting in the for sale board?
Holy Mary, I just googled and saw the price!
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I use Shimano PD-A520 Touring Pedals on all of my bikes. I have three pairs of Shimano touring shoes, two pairs are very old, but they seem to go on forever. They have recessed cleats and are very comfortable to walk in. I wouldnt want to walk miles in them unless I had to, but they are more than suitable for walking around town in.
Beauty will save the world.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531colin wrote:BTW, I have a pair of Campag. Record pro fit titanium pedals that came in a box of bits....are they any good? I won't use them, are they worth putting in the for sale board?
Holy Mary, I just googled and saw the price!
Stupid price. :lol:
I have a pair of Centaur in the workshop - one of them is slightly damaged after a crash.
I use Chorus now, identical to Record except for the Ti axle. I doubt the Ti axle makes much difference to anything.

Centaur has only two bearings and poor dull grey finish, whereas Chorus and Record have three bearings and are polished.
They only make the hyper expensive Record now, and TBH it's not worth it. If you can find the Chorus or Centaur, they are very good value, but they haven't been made for some years. 2006?
Mick F. Cornwall