Sabbath September AR-1

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BrianP

Sabbath September AR-1

Post by BrianP »

Rather nice all rounder takes guards and rack.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/21/the ... more-82416
mrjemm

Re: Sabbath September AR-1

Post by mrjemm »

Looks nice, but quite plain... Though I guess anything not plain would be purely marketing nonsense. I should say 'classic', yet with discs... Short headtube/level toptube though, and carbon forks suggest less touring suitable, more play bike themed. "Gravel" box-tick perhaps? Raciness a definate marketing point with those forks, compact chainset, and seat way higher than the bars.

Really don't see the point of the hybrid brakes, and think they've made a pig's ear of the rack installation. Nice dropouts though.

Think I'll stick with QBP's finest.
honesty

Post by honesty »

The road.cc review of the bike can be seen here: http://road.cc/content/review/121733-sabbath-september-disc-road-bike

Rather than full touring I can see this bike being fantastic for the light touring I do. If I had the money and the permission from SMIBO the frame would more than likely be swapping with my Thorn audax right now as it does seem to have everything I would want.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Some information on Sabbaths own site.....http://www.sabbathbicycles.co.uk/bikes/september-ar-1-disc
(But, for example, does the offset vary with the head angle?)
I would urge you to take a test ride before concluding its an ideal light tourer. Disc brakes make for a stiff fork anyway, and this bike has an oversize head tube to accept a tapered steerer, although this may only apply to carbon steerers, I really don't know.
They are also talking about increased area on the head tube for welding, and ovalised tubing for stiffness.
I can understand a steep and stiff bike for a blast, but for lightly loaded touring, a bit of comfort goes down well with me.
YMMV, of course.
honesty

Post by honesty »

You have a point, but surely a lot of the comfort of light touring can be gained by fitting Kojaks or some equivalent large volume light tyre? i think on the head tube it is designed to take both tapered or standard 1 1/8 headsets and forks.
meic

Post by meic »

I bought a Van Nicholas Amazon frame four years ago which fills the same niche they are saying that this bike has started. I just didnt buy disc style forks to go with it.

Though the placing of the disc mounts on the chainstays suits me much better than on the seatstays on the Amazon.

I have at last removed the disc brake from my Amazon and I am much happier with it now (until it rains again).

Comfort is fine even with 28mm tyres, titanium is sooo springy.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I agree with Colin.

Re the fat tyres; yes they will make everything better comfort wise, but the argument then goes that it is surely better still when they are run in a nice springy frame/fork, and if nothing else it gives you more choices.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

honesty wrote:You have a point, but surely a lot of the comfort of light touring can be gained by fitting Kojaks or some equivalent large volume light tyre? .................

I'm still turning this one over in my mind ( and coming to a different conclusion to R2, which gives me cause for puzzlement)
a tale of 2 bikes.......
The Dreadnought....Modern 31.8mm bars /Reynolds EB 708 fork blades with low-rider mounts./40mm Marathon Supreme tyres at 50/60 psi (F/R)
Light tourer......26mm bars/ Reynolds 631 fork blades/28mm Duranos at 70/80 psi or 32mm supremes at 60/70 psi
I can't shake the impression that I get more buzz from "granite chip" type road surfaces on the dreadnought than on the light tourer.
Plunging down a hill I've never ridden before, going from bright sunlight to under the trees at the instant the "surface" changes from tarmac to mud, gravel and potholes, I would rather be on the dreadnought......100 mile days with some hills, I want the lightweight......
I feel blessed to have the choice....... :wink:
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

Very, very similar to the Kinesis Tripster ATR, which has proved to be enormously popular.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

NewHorizon wrote:Very, very similar to the Kinesis Tripster ATR, which has proved to be enormously popular.

Is it?

And... Is it?

Ti with discs... Otherwise, doesn't look much like to me. Curvy stays on the decade. More sloping TT also, no?

And popular? Enormously even? I've seen one frame, never a bike, and not heard of anyone buying one yet...
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You're all overlooking the major downside to titanium

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88793 :lol: