2015 Croix de Fer build.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: 2015 Croix de Fer build.

Post by RickH »

I was going to question if the 2015 Croix de Fer does have a carbon fork as there's no mention on the website page & the pictures look like the same style unicrown fork as before (albeit slightly longer in 2015). I did find one example of frame only that looks like it has CF forks (here) so there must be at least some with them but I don't know if it is all, as some of the full 2015 bikes are listed with steel forks. Actual details (& geometry) seem to be a bit scant at the moment.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

The Frameset only has CF forks but the pre-built bikes are of varying spec, some of which have a steel fork.
The link you provided to the Frameset, is where I ordered mine from...great company to deal with. :D

The Genesis website is a bit naff at keeping up with the 2015 model launch as they seem to have concentrated their marketing so far, to Facebook and Twitter. All the questions I had were asked (and answered very quickly) through Facebook.

I had a look through the Shimergo thing and decided against it. I've ordered some Ultegra 10 speed shifters.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
don1

Post by don1 »

I reckon the burnt bronze colour of the frame set is fantastic. I'm opting for the built CdeF in the grey/orange limited edition colour scheme but not available until feb at least.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I never liked the Croix de Fer, but this update is to me, a vast improvement- really quite interesting now. I like the headtube cable stops, even if they do remove the potential for down-tube levers (which is a big thing; we have them on one major bike); adaptors are still feasible, if ugly. I think the curved steel forks look better than the old straight ones too (I like straight, but the old ones were too skinny in my eyes). Hope there will be the option for these with the frame option later.

Unsure about the downtube cable run, but like that it has little diamond plate thingies for this-

Is that a gusset too?

No close ups, but the dropouts look potentially better than the old flat plate things that always appeared... agricultural to me.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mrjemm wrote:Is that a gusset too?

Yes I'm pretty sure there is - it seems to be quite clear in this picture from my earlier link. The CF fork appears to have lowrider mounts from that picture too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I think if you were going to get this frame, I would be tempted to get the thorn disc fork, which comes in different trails, although I suspect it weighs a bit.

There is also the fork from the croix de touring, but I am unsure of the impact on geometry.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

The bolts for the disc rotors...do I grease the threads or thread lock 'em?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

non-permanent thread lock.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

Why is it that it is preferable to use thread lock on some bolts and grease on other bolts? What is the reasoning behind it?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the reasoning is either that

a) the bolts tend to undo themselves otherwise and/or

b) the consequences of them coming unscrewed don't bear thinking about.

it is more the latter than the former in the case of disc bolts I think. I happily use them greased (well copper ease treated actually; grease melts when it gets hot...) on some of my bikes because I know I'll check them. But for some else I'll Loctite them, because I can't rely on them being sufficiently attentive.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
masi

Post by masi »

Hi,

as Im planning the same build: whats the weight of a size 60 frame? 2015 or 2014 frame or even older one...
I would like to build the croix de fer under 9kg / 20lbs, right now it looks (on the paper) okay assuming the frame weight 2400g /5.3lbs, but is that right??
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I can't find the weight of a 60cm frame, but a 56cm 2014 model is 1.98kg frame and 0.93kg uncut fork. Since the new model has a carbon fork, you can make an educated guess?
masi

Post by masi »

is that weighed by you, or just Genesis inforamtion?
that would be even lighter tham what 18bikes.com have listed:

Weights
- 4.96lb/2.25kg frame (56cm)
- 1.46lb/.66kg fork (300mm steerer)

As I lready found out, those weights by Genesis are crap.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

Those weights are from the Genesis website, but I have no idea how accurate they may be.

The new model is released next week and I'm expecting mine around the 25th August. It is a 56cm, so I can weigh it and report back then.
Smut Pedaller

Post by Smut Pedaller »

I weighed my 2014 50cm frame at 2.1kg which was a fair bit more than what was stated. Fork came in at 0.93kg
http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/project-phil-part-1-frame.html
smutpedaller.blogspot.com