2015 Croix de Fer build.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Godlykepower

2015 Croix de Fer build.

Post by Godlykepower »

I'm starting this build soon, when the new framesets are released at the end of August, having already placed my order with 18 Bikes.

Apart from the wheel options I have (which I am keeping to a separate thread) I think I'm okay with speccing this bike for my needs.

I already have a custom Surly LHT and want the CdF to fall somewhere in the middle of this and a full-on race bike, so my questions are:

I'm going with an Ultegra 10 speed groupset. The cranks I have ordered, are 170mm compact double - 50/34t front and probably a 11-23 cassette. With this transmission, I can use a short cage rear mech, but would it be wiser to get a medium cage mech if ever I decided to change the cassette to something 'wider?'

I'm sparing no expense on components, and in the past, I have noted that Avid BB7's are de rigeur but I see there are more options lately? What and why, would you recommend as a disc brake? TRP Spyre? BB7?, HyRd?

Does anyone have experience of the Fizik Cyrano range? I'm particularly interested in the R3 'bull' handlebars, R1 stem and R3 seatpost. I know saddles are a can of worms around here, but thoughts on the Aliante saddle too?

Lastly, I think that I may require a headset spacer, which is easily dealt with, but I have seen several bikes lately, with a spacer above the top of the stem, so that the cap sitting a few millimetres above the stem. What's all that about?!

I'll add to this as the project progresses, but any input will be greatly received.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
firedfromthecircus

Re: 2015 Croix de Fer build.

Post by firedfromthecircus »

A couple of thoughts.

A spacer above the stem allows some latitude for future stem changes and or height changes. You can't put back steerer tube once it's cut. They also allow the full height of the stem to grip the steerer rather than having the gap at the top for the top cap. In fact, I think it is recommended to have a spacer on top with carbon steerers.

Do you have a gripe with BB7s? I have them on 3 bikes and if I were building another I'd go for them again. Tried, tested and trusted. Pair them with some Yokozuna cables for serious power.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I have no problem with BB7's at all! In fact, right now I'm indifferent to all disc brakes, as I've not used them since some XT hydraulics on a mountain bike I had over a decade ago.

I just want to put the best brakes on that I can get, if those are BB7's, then they'll go on, if there is something better, then that'll go on instead. I really don't have an opinion right now.

It's as I suspected it would be with regard to the spacers, but I just thought I'd check if I was missing anything!
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Godlykepower wrote:I have no problem with BB7's at all! In fact, right now I'm indifferent to all disc brakes, as I've not used them since some XT hydraulics on a mountain bike I had over a decade ago.

Sorry, I was thinking you had a Disc Trucker so would have BB7s on that anyway. :roll:

BB7s are great. Easy to adjust, reliable, decent power etc.

One issue might be with levers if you plan on using brifters. Ordinary road bike levers made for calipers won't have the right cable pull for discs. Tektro do drop levers suitable but then you would need bar end shifters. Don't know if there is a suitable STI unit. :?

edit: just remembered Avid do road BB7s to sort that very problem. :)
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I thought the cable/ hydraulic brakes were better. I think they are called TRP HY/RD?

In terms of chainsets I like downtube/ bar end shifters because they feel mechanical.

Are you getting the 2015 frameset with a carbon fork or last years?

If you do a search for robert beale croix de fer, you will find a great blog of one man and his CDF build. Also if do a search Claire did a cdf build last year.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I debated for so long about getting the 2014 frame, that when I eventually made my mind up, getting one in my size - 56cm - is damn near impossible nowadays.

When I heard the 2015 model was getting a carbon fork (making it sprightlier than my LHT) I was sold and pre-ordered the fameset a couple of days after Genesis made their announcements of the 2015 models.

I see the pre-built CdF's have the TRP HyRd brakes as standard this year, having changed from the Hayes CX. I really have no opinion of disc brakes as I've not used them for 12 years and I've never used mechanical discs at all.
I know BB7's are highly regarded, but if there is something better, I'll consider it. It's the component that will require the greatest amount of research on my part.
I have bar end shifters on the LHT and they are great, but I want this bike to be/feel more road biased, so I'm using Ultegra 10 speed levers, crankset, bottom bracket and derailleurs.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I love my Croix de Fer (referred to above), but as built it is rather hefty. I have since bought a Cube Peloton road bike and am using that more. I suspect once the weather changes, I will be using it more.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I've just had a look through that Robert Beal blog and the one thing I saw that interests me, is that he uses Campagnolo Ergopower shifters.

I'm quite happy going with Ultegra shifters, but if there is no compatibility issue and also because I've never used Campag before, I would consider using them.

What (if any) are the pros and cons of mixing the two components?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Godlykepower wrote:Lastly, I think that I may require a headset spacer, which is easily dealt with, but I have seen several bikes lately, with a spacer above the top of the stem, so that the cap sitting a few millimetres above the stem. What's all that about?!

If you see a spacer/spacers above a stem they are there for two reasons:-

1/ Mr/Mrs Cyclist is unsure about adjustment and feel it is wise not to saw off surplus steerer tube, so they instead take up the slack space with a spacer/spacers.

2/ If you see only a single thin spacer above a stem that is attached to a carbon steerer, that means Mr/Mrs Cyclist has opted for this arrangement so that the whole of the stem clamps around the steerer for a bit more bite, rather than having the stem sit a little proud of the steerer. No real point doing this with a steel steerer tube as these are more durable than carbon.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Godlykepower wrote:
What (if any) are the pros and cons of mixing the two components?

see the shimergo page for compatibility info.

IMHO there were several reasons to use Campag shifters;

1) you prefer the shape

2) you like that you can get small spare parts for them

3) there is little or no left side indexing, so a freer choice of front mech

4) no 'washing lines'.

But in more recent years most of this has either gone away or is at least moot.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

Washing lines? Does this mean cables sticking out the side of the lever and not being routed round the bars?

Where is this Shimergo page located?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Godlykepower wrote:Washing lines? Does this mean cables sticking out the side of the lever and not being routed round the bars?
yup; shimano and campag used to differ in this respect, but not so much now.

Where is this Shimergo page located?
on the CTC website. Should be the first hit if you google 'shimergo'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

samsbike

Post by samsbike »

you must post pics when it is all done
bryce

Post by bryce »

The current advantages of Shimergo are:
* No washing lines with 8, 9, and soon 10 speed. 105 is the first groupset with hidden cables and it's going 11 speed next year.
* Works well with Shimano mountain bike front derailleurs, will support basically any front crank set by using either Shimano mountain/flat bar or Campagnolo front derailleurs.
* 3 shifts up, and possibly 5 down (with ultra shift). Very handy when changing down for red lights commuting. Shimano mostly only does 2 shifts up now.
* Campagnolo shifters are a bit cheaper and lighter than Shimano. Shimano is cheaper for everything else.

Plus the traditional reasons Brucey listed.