Which brake blocks / shoes ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fieldmouse

Which brake blocks / shoes ?

Post by fieldmouse »

The brakes on my touring bike are not powerful enough - I'm quite heavy and carry a fair amount - so I need to change the blocks / shoes. Which make would be best ? Mavic Open Pro rims , Avid Shorty 6 cantilever brakes . Also , I almost never ride in the wet
mjr

Re: Which brake blocks / shoes ?

Post by mjr »

Isn't the main thing you can change with cantilever brakes the length of the pads, so try 70 or 90mm rather than the usual (45?). Some of the cheap brands or unbranded blocks are poor, but the good brands of a similar length seem much of a muchness to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fieldmouse

Post by fieldmouse »

It has 70mm pads at the moment , and a bit worn . I seem to remember somebody on here previously advising on particular makes having good performance .
georgew

Post by georgew »

fieldmouse wrote:It has 70mm pads at the moment , and a bit worn . I seem to remember somebody on here previously advising on particular makes having good performance .

Koolstop Salmon are the standard and not only will they increase your stopping power but they are much kinder to your rims than the other brands which use harder material.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:Isn't the main thing you can change with cantilever brakes the length of the pads,....

Make sure the cable runs are free without any kinks or snags. After that the main thing you can change is the set up, primarily the yoke height: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410

Koolstop Salmon are an oft recommended pad (particular for the wet), as are SwissStop and BBB although I can't recall which flavours.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

gaz wrote:
mjr wrote:Isn't the main thing you can change with cantilever brakes the length of the pads,....

Make sure the cable runs are free without any kinks or snags. After that the main thing you can change is the set up, primarily the yoke height: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410

Koolstop Salmon are an oft recommended pad (particular for the wet), as are SwissStop and BBB although I can't recall which flavours.

+1 for cables and yoke heights. Getting an old style yoke rather than newer Shimano style one made my brakes much better. I took the straddles and yokes from CR520 and used them with Tektro Oryx and it works well.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have always been somewhat confused as to whetherkoolstop salmons are actually different to the other koolstop colours. Anyone care to put me out of my misery/mystery?

I currently use discobrakes canti pads - very cheap and seem fine for my use on that bike, not heavy touring I stress.
Sweep
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

This year, I've tested the standard XT pads in my V-brakes, BBB Tristops and most recently Swisstop green pads.

The Swisstops are a country mile ahead of any of the others.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was wondering the other day .........

Braking needs friction.
Brake blocks wear away and so does the wheel rim.

I'd prefer the brake block wear away more than the rim, rather than the rim wear more than the brake block.
I'd actually prefer the brake block to wear FAR MORE than the rim.
It seems that my Campag brake blocks will be worn three times to one Rigida Chrina rim. This is from experience.

Is there an efficient brake block that wears away five or six times - or more - to the one rim?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you ride in the wet and the muck, cheap moulded V pads wear out very quickly; like in a day or something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Softer compound should give better braking and rim wear.

Koolstop salmons seem to be regarded as pretty soft. Downside is your pads will wear quicker, at £22 a pair if you can lace your own rims their might not be much in it cost wise.

Time wise its much less hassle to replace the pads though.

I guess the other thing that helps is to be religous about cleaning your pads and rims. Mine tend to grind horribly after a wet ride until the rim is cleaned and the pads picked out.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Brucey wrote:if you ride in the wet and the muck, cheap moulded V pads wear out very quickly; like in a day or something.

cheers

:lol: :lol:

I think Mick means that he would like to extend the life of his rims, not reduce the life of his brake blocks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Use your feet to brake? :mrgreen: Saves rims and pads....

Might reduce lifespan :lol:
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:
Brucey wrote:if you ride in the wet and the muck, cheap moulded V pads wear out very quickly; like in a day or something.

cheers

:lol: :lol:

I think Mick means that he would like to extend the life of his rims, not reduce the life of his brake blocks.
A bit of both perhaps. Looks like I'll be getting new rims - or at least a rear one - later this year/early next year - after about 10,000miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

I really like red koolstops I find they maintain a smooth rim surface better than anything else I'e found. Under mountain biking conditions they do wear quite quicky. But it is the only downside IMHO.
I always feather brakes in wet/dirty conditions i.e. as soon as I hear the grating noise start, I ease off on the offending brake and use the the other. The aim is to always maintain a smooth rim surface. I live where I always have to descend (and ascend :( )1in 5 hills.
I have a road recumbent with 10000 + miles on Alesa rims which show very little wear. Almost exculsively dry weather use. They are a hefty touring rim though.