Replacing internally-routed rear brake cables

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
campag34a

Replacing internally-routed rear brake cables

Post by campag34a »

For those occasions when someone has removed the old cable without first using it to "fish" through the new one, and you are left facing two holes in the frame. You will need: your new brake cable, a cable-tie... er, that's it. With the bike upside-down, bend the cable-tie double and push it into the hole in the frame nearest the brake mechanism. The cable-tie will form a loop inside the frame.

Now push your new brake cable in from the other hole in the frame, having put a cable-end cap on it first to prevent fraying, until it goes through the loop formed by your cable tie. Join the ends of the tie together and pull sharply upwards -- with any luck, your cable should emerge cleanly from the hole. Saves much time messing about with metal coat hangers, a nut on a string, or even cotton thread and a vacuum cleaner...
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Replacing internally-routed rear brake cables

Post by Mick F »

The only time I've replace the rear cable on a bike with it internally routed, the route was in a narrow tube, so I just threaded it through.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

needless to say there are several different arrangements in use, and you only find out if there is no internal liner after you have pulled the old cable out; d'oh!

If the holes are small, or there is a brazed-on fitting, you can't always use the zip tie trick. In such cases I quite like using 4mm dia nylon pneumatic hose; you can thread a wire down the middle of it to stiffen it and feed it, or alternatively you can shine a light down the centre of the tube so that you can see the end of the hose when you are aiming for the exit hole.

Lots of different ways of skinning this particular cat!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

campag34a wrote:Saves much time messing about with metal coat hangers, a nut on a string, or even cotton thread and a vacuum cleaner...

I only need a couple of divining rods and the power of my mind.
I should coco.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

A magnet worked for me the other day :).
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The only bike I've had with internal brake cables was an old Shogun frame. The cable was fully enclosed in outer from lever to calliper and had plastic 'cups' that slotted in the frame for the cable out to emerge from. From memory I threaded a cable through the top tube and hooked it out with a bent spoke then threaded the outer onto the inner cable and pulled the inner out then cut the outer to approximate length and then passed the correct inner cable through.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Are concealed cables good or bad? I think brazed-on cable guides outwith the frame are better
Holes might let water in or make the frame weaker
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 28 Jan 2020, 7:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fredwinter

Post by fredwinter »

gave up on my Canondale himod and ran the rear brake cable exterior. Life is too short. :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Redvee wrote: then threaded the outer onto the inner cable and pulled the inner out then cut the outer to approximate length and then passed the correct inner cable through.

Mr. Habib used a similar technique when reaming out my urethra.
First a camera on a wire to find the way, and then used it to guide the catheter.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Was he taking the p***?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Those methods are great tips to know but sometimes it’s nice to struggle for a few hours, let off a bit of steam, get hot under the collar, shout profanities, grind your teeth, scream, bend a few cables, shout at inanimate objects, go for a walk round the workshop, try again, repeat all the above, go for a walk round the garden, repeat all the above, go for a walk round the neighbourhood, kick a few lamp posts, get quizzed where you have been, get grilled about why, have your other half laugh at your “childishness”, have a sulk, do something in the house “For a change!”, get issued your ‘shed pass’, try again and get the cables through in two seconds flat. It’s a sort of right of passage and justification for being out there for hours.......
Or have I just been out there too long?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Same old "form before function",clean looks,zero advantage.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Remove the cable guide under the frame at the BB, and then put a long length of cable outer into the frame through the holes, with a bit protruding from each end. Push the new brake inner cable through the outer, then when it’s through the frame, withdraw the outer from the frame. Easy peasy, that’s the way I usually do it. Just make sure you thread any grommets onto the inner cable you’re using before you thread it through the section of outer, in the frame. I use the same trick for internally routed gear cables.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Why has this 6-year-old topic been revived? Surely bikes aren't still being made with these daft things?!?
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I believe they are. :roll: