REAR oln measurements?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
kenster

REAR oln measurements?

Post by kenster »

I have got a question please on rear oln measurements. I have just got my hand on a 853 frame and was told it was 130mm oln. Measuring it it is not much over 100mm. is this normal for 853? i find it hard to believe that it'll give another 30mm and i don't especially want to try.
Would you expect a rear oln of 130mm to be constantly 130mm without a wheel in it or would you expect it to close a little (probably not 30mm).
I'd really appreciate your thoughts. not something i have a vast knowledge on thanks jon
531colin

Re: REAR oln measurements?

Post by 531colin »

I would expect 130mm for road, 120mm for track, wheel or no wheel.
I think its bent.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:......I think its bent.

Me too.
Sight down the seatstays from the top of the seatube,you may see one is bent inward from the bridge 30mm is a lot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kenster

Post by kenster »

Thanks guys,I don't think is bent had a good look at it.it's a cougar (Terry Dolan) frame so high quality.it's weird I'll try to get pics tomorrow.I'll phone mate at p at local shop to.
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

kenster wrote:Thanks guys,I don't think is bent had a good look at it.

The question you have got to ask yourself, is where can one find a 100mm rear hub? You will discover that you have to make it yourself. The narrowest available are 110mm vintage track hubs, Hiliary Stone e.g. has a couple.

I have seen damages like this from frames transported without leaving a bridge or hub between the rear dropouts. All it takes is something heavy on top of it when it is on its side. Frame asymmetry can be a clue, which you can check objectively with a string (http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html#symmetry).

Because the material is so hard and thin-walled, if the frame is full 853 it has probably already suffered irreversible damage.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this might be one for hot setting, rather than cold setting, if you want to fix it.

I agree with the post above, getting squished in transit can cause exactly this kind of damage.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kenster

Post by kenster »

Thanks guys this is obviously not what I was wanting to hear.I have tried contacting the seller but not heard from them yet. I'll get some pics done asap I guess we need to contact courier asap.yes it did have a bolt clamped in the rear drop out .thanks Jon
kenster

Post by kenster »

531colin

Post by 531colin »

Measure the bolt as it was fixing the dropout separation?

Even with the dropouts bolted together, if a fork lift driver shunted a stack of parcels in the depot.....
I have seen drivers walking over parcels to reach one at the back....I don't know that would that bend a frame if the dropouts were bolted securely...

In the early days, 853 was only the 3 main tubes.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There is obvious damage to the drive side dropout. Where did you buy it from, if Ebay you'll have some protection.
kenster

Post by kenster »

I can't send any more replies till later now, trying to get away on holiday! Rear stays were bolted securely and it's the hangers that are bent. Trying to contact couriers now :-(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would say that both the dropouts and the rear stays are bent. Yuck!

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, that's the way I see it too. Especially the dropouts.
Mick F. Cornwall
kenster

Post by kenster »

Currently on live chat on parcel 2 go! Heard nothing from seller at the mo.I bought it of retro bike (of a reputable seller. Is it fixable? If so any recommendations? I'm going push for a full refund
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a refund is simplest.

If I had no choice I'd try and fix it, but not with any great expectation of success...

cheers