Campag Veloce Ultra Torque chainset issue

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jkilpatrick

Campag Veloce Ultra Torque chainset issue

Post by jkilpatrick »

Hi all,

So I lent my bike to a mate for a while, and its just recently been returned. The chainset (Veloce UT) is very very draggy - it wasn't when I lent it out. I'm not familiar with these, and its quite different from the traditional square taper bb plus chainsets I'm used to. Where's the first place to look with these? Could it just be dry bearings? Better question - how do I get at the bearings?

Cheers
John
cycleruk

Re: Campag Veloce Ultra Torque chainset issue

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
jkilpatrick

Post by jkilpatrick »

Dumb question. If you don't have a bearing puller, is there a day approach that's suitable? Or is that just asking for trouble?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are many horrible methods (screwdrivers as levers etc) of removing these bearings, but they all damage stuff. Your risk, your choice.

If you want the next set of bearings to last longer, learn how to remove the inner seal in situ, and get in the habit of repacking the bearings with grease once every few months. It doesn't take long to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

If the cups are reasonably heavily packed with grease on installation so that the internal seals are good, the bearings last OK - my current ones have been in since January and are still smooth as ....

A proper drain hole in the BB is a big help, too - Campag do specify it in their Tech Manual ...

Be careful with cleaning, don't jet wash and don't use strong detergents or spray cleaners and you'll drastically cut the bearing attrition rate (and not just in the BB).

You can repack the cartridge bearings as Brucie points out (though of course I couldn't possibly suggest that as Campag's main UK tech-rep <grin>).

If you want bearings removed / installed, we do run the service at Velotech Cycling Ltd, not always same day turnaround, but we can (so long as we know the cranks are coming) usually accommodate it if it's needed.
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre