Need help finding a middle chainring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bristol123

Need help finding a middle chainring

Post by Bristol123 »

I have an XT FC-T780 Chainset. The middle ring has worn and I would like to replace it with a steel chain ring.

XT chainring wear out very quick because they are lightweight due to the material (Aluminium I think) and I am fed up of replacing the middle ring every 9-12 months. I cycle everyday and so the miles build up very quick. I am on my third in two years and they cost £30 a time to replace. I used to use a SLX chainset that had a steel middle chainring and never had to replace it in 3 years of riding everyday.

From what I have read, some people have suggested using a Deore steel middle ring but I did not know which Deore chainset model middle ring is compatible with an XT FC-T780. I have also read other manufactures middle rings are compatible with Shimano chainsets but from all the disscussions I have read, no one mentions any models.

Here is the chainset I have;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... P#features

Can someone recommened a steel middle ring that will fit the above chainset, please.
james01

Re: Need help finding a middle chainring

Post by james01 »

Don't know of any steel rings in that size. Spa cycles do a Zicral ring in 104 BCD for £21 http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s149p486 , although postage is extra.
For high mileage utility use I use a basic Shimano triple with steel rings from Roseversand.de costing around £20 complete!
Bristol123

Post by Bristol123 »

Thanks for the replay. I will will contact them and see what they say - if might be a case of buying a few and seeing they fit by trial and error :?

Just thought some one has come across this issue before.
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

If you want a Shimano 36t 104 bcd ring, you can try this http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Chain-rings/Chain-rings-MTB-Middle/Shimano-CHAINRING-DEORE-FCM532-36T-Middle-SILVER/prod_3014.html

There is no guarantee that it will work without some minor surgery or chainring spacers, but it is cheap and it is steel.
Bristol123

Post by Bristol123 »

I have actually just ordered that exact same one, to see if it fits. However, the fitting on the correct chainring look slightly rounded compared to the silver one. The sliver one in the steel one and the black one is what Shimano recommend but is the XT soft chainring;
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!l4FJY5nFSbEBSb5!IKznQ~~60_12.JPG
Y1MP98020.jpg
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The XT is 10 speed whereas the steel one is 9 speed.
Whether that is a problem I don't know.
I don't think the square profile fittings will be a problem.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is a bit of minefield isn't it?

some 104bcd cranksets use a shoulder for the middle ring to sit on, and other don't. If yours is the latter type then the shape of the mountings isn't so important.

With a bit of luck/fiddling I'd expect a nominally 9s one to fit. I note SJS do this one

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-slx-fc-m660-104mm-bcd-4-arm-middle-chainring-silver-36t-prod27837/ which might even be the same as the one you used before.

BTW if you are letting your chain get very worn before you change it (which doesn't take long with a shimano 10s system IME) then your most used chainrings will suffer greatly.

I got so cheesed off with wear on derailleur systems (and that was when they actually lasted more than five minutes... :roll: ) that I went to an IGH for daily riding years ago.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bristol123

Post by Bristol123 »

I saw that one too, been looking at all the different models for the last two days to try and find out what is compatible - and yes it is a minefield, put polity.

If it does not fit I think I will buy the SLX M660 10 speed and replace all the rings or get the Deore M610 10-Speed which already has the 48-36-26.

When I was looking for an 48t outer chainset 2 years, the only option I had was an XT FC-T780 which is a trekking chainset, hence the "T", but replacing the entire drivetrain was a nightmare due to compatibility issues! Don't think the SLX M660 10 speed existed because I did not come across this at all while searching for 48t outer for mountain bikes. Hopefully the middle ring ordered will fit or I replace the chainset which will be cheaper in the long run.

The chain does show signs of wear when its replaced, but not overly worn, I replace it at the same stage of its life when I used to run and SLX 9 speed crankset and I am doing the same style riding. In fact, it has worn faster and I have been doing less distance, a lot less; going from 15-20 miles 5 days a week to only 15-20 miles 2-3 days week. There is no way having XT is worth the hassle of replacing middle rings every 6-9 months. I though the first one that needed replacing was just OEM or poor quality ring that came with the chainset so just replaced it when the chain skipped, but not the case it seems.
Bristol123

Post by Bristol123 »

Update:

Just encase anyone else is looking for a middle ring for the above, a DEORE M510 9 speed fits, even if fitting to a 10 speed chainset. The shordler of the ring do not matter as they do not sit on anything on the crank so as long as the holes line up any Deore 9 speed ring will fit a 10 speed.

I ordered the correct XT middle ring as a back up, just encase, and when compared to the worn one, the difference is tiny and hardly looks worn at all but it slips. When comparing the DEORE M510 to the new XT ring, the "troughs"(?) are drastically not as deep meaning the teeth are much shorter so even if the XT was made of steel it ware quicker - maybe the teeth are shorter to save weight :P Will stick to steel midde rings from now on - only 40g difference, not that I care about the weight.