White Lightning Clean Ride - mixture?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: White Lightning Clean Ride - mixture?

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:I could be wrong but could Mick F be applying too much lube?

I don't keep exact records but I think I relube with TF2 every 50ish miles....... ............. nothing collects muck like excess lube.

I don't spray TF2 on the chain anywhere near as regularly as that,probably every 200 to 300 miles,unless I've been out on an all day rain ride or prolonged rain storm,it definitely does get washed off in those sort of conditions.
I always apply,sparingly,(gently with the aerosol button almost trickling it on),after a ride not just before as it dries and soaks in.
I can usually tell when the chain needs a lube as it 'talks' to me :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Maybe I'm putting too much on?
I don't know, but I apply it in the same way I would apply Clean Ride.

Possibly. I know it's not the same thing as WL Clean Ride, but I felt I was going through FL Ceramic Wax like it was going out of fashion: more each lube and lubing more often, basically as you describe. Otherwise, the crazy squeaking started :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a little update.

I rode off yesterday with a nice clean chain lubricated with Epic Ride as per the instructions but with whe words of mjr ringing in my ears. "Was I putting too much on?"

Ordinarily, I would have fitted the clean chain on dry, then lubed it liberally. The next day, I'd lube it again an hour or two before setting off, but yesterday I didn't. I rode away with just the original lubing and no extra.

The weather was dry and sunny, roads clean and dry too.

20miles into the ride, I could hear the chain. :oops:
40miles later, it was audible to Ferrit Worrier who I was riding with on his LEJOG.
By the time I was up to Mile70, it was noisy. :shock:
By the time I made it home (85miles) I had been freewheeling as much as possible because I felt sorry for it. :oops:

That's it.
I'm going back to my normal regime.
Lavish the chain with lube!!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

so it is the squeaky chain that gets the grease then...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes! :D
I took a larger-than-usual saddle pouch with me as I took some sandwiches and choccy and it did occur to me that I could have stashed a (just in case) bottle of Epic Ride in there too. :lol:

Not out riding today, nor tomorrow, but Wednesday will see me out in the hills again, but fully lubed up.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I rode off yesterday with a nice clean chain lubricated with Epic Ride as per the instructions but with whe words of mjr ringing in my ears. "Was I putting too much on?"

Ordinarily, I would have fitted the clean chain on dry, then lubed it liberally. The next day, I'd lube it again an hour or two before setting off, but yesterday I didn't. I rode away with just the original lubing and no extra.

So your reaction to wondering "Was I putting too much on?" was to lube less often? :roll:

I thought we figured out pretty quickly that you weren't reapplying much more often than me, but we both do much more than reohn2 does. Tell you what: when I lube my next bike, I'll weigh the bottle before and after, using weight as a crude proxy for volume because my current bottle is opaque. Would you do the same?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Ok, that's a good 'un!

I was just aware of thinking about what you said, and as I had a clean and dry chain, I followed the instructions as stated.
My gut feeling was to load it on twice or more, but I knew the instructions were to the contrary, so I didn't.

This morning, I've put more on - hopefully to stop the squeaking. I won't be riding until at least Wednesday but I wouldn't re-apply even then as I've already done it, so next re-application would be some other time. I expect a ride on Wednesday, but as at this time, I have no idea how far or in what direction, but if you consider I did 85miles yesterday and maybe 30miles (at a guess) on Wednesday, the chain is due for a clean as I've stated that I'm going to do it weekly.

From Wednesday onwards I'll weigh the Epic Ride and work out what it is per mile over the next few weeks.
Sounds anal enough for me, and fun. Not joking here, I'm a bit obsessive and compulsive and autistic enough to do this. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:Tell you what: when I lube my next bike, I'll weigh the bottle before and after, using weight as a crude proxy for volume because my current bottle is opaque. Would you do the same?

I forgot last week. This morning I remembered. I wiped the crud off, applied 4g of TF2 and wiped the excess/expelled lube off. I think the bike's done maybe 40 miles since last application but I can't remember exactly which bike I rode when so my ride logs don't really tell me for sure. I know the 3-speed did most of them, including the longer ride this weekend.

So how much lube do you use each go? ;-)
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Surely we need to know grams/chainlink, and the number of sprocket/chainwheel/jockeywheel engagements made by each chainlink before re-application is necessary? Only then can we reach full enlightenment.

:mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our kitchen scales aren't scientifically accurate, but a new bottle weighs 122g and the bottle I've used now weighs 91g, meaning I've used 31g up to and including this afternoon.

I'm cleaning the chain every 100miles or so. Honestly, I'm keeping track here, but I don't know how many applications.
The chain cleans easily and beautifully, easier than with Clean Ride, and I did it only this afternoon ready for a ride tomorrow.

Here's the facts:
528miles since using WL Epic Ride.
Cleaned the chain at 101miles, 204miles, 119miles and 104miles ....... but none of the transmission parts as they didn't need doing.
31g consumed, but I've lubed ready for the next ride.
Cleaned the chain four times, but it's clean and ready for the next ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Mick when you say cleaned the chain. Do you mean you had it off the bike and then in a pot of white spirit or something, or did you clean it on the bike?
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

PS. Having read your comments on clean ride I decided to give it a go, mine arrived just as you switched to using epic ride! :-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gloomyandy wrote:Mick when you say cleaned the chain. Do you mean you had it off the bike and then in a pot of white spirit or something, or did you clean it on the bike?
Yes, I took the chain off.

Easy done with a Missing Link, and only a five minute job to take it off and clean it thoroughly. Drying takes a while though, but with this lovely warm sunshine we have, I let it dry outside.

Back on and connected up, then back-pedal swiftly whist lubing generously.

I'm using Epic Ride - as discussed - but TBH I'm not a fan of it as the chain needs to be cleaned too often. I'd much prefer to be using Clean Ride but for the moment I'll be using Epic Ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Cheers Mick, what did you find was the best thing to clean a "clean ride" chain with?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's a whole different subject, and a complete can of worms. :lol:

Personally, I use Gunk, the engine degreaser. It's water soluble so you can rinse the chain in cold fresh water.
Some folk use white spirit, but that's not water-soluble, and some folk use a "green" degreaser that is. Take your pick, there's loads of degreaser/cleaners out there.

I buy Gunk in 1ltr tins and half-fill a small sealable tub with it. Drop the chain in, seal the lid, shake it until your arm aches, fish it out and let it drain, then rinse in cold fresh water. The Gunk can be used many times for more chains and I'm sure other degreasers can be used more times too.

Drop the chain into the kitchen sink with an inch of hot water and a generous squirt of washing up liquid. Shoogle it about, and then rinse in hot fresh water, and repeat in new hot fresh water. Hang it out to dry in the autumn sunshine.

Job done. :D
Mick F. Cornwall