Quick release wheels

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Drake

Quick release wheels

Post by Drake »

Is it possible to convert solid axle hubs to quick release.
If so, are there kits available or is it individual parts ?
Brucey

Re: Quick release wheels

Post by Brucey »

it depends on the hubs; which do you have?

BTW often the threading on the axle is different between the two in an otherwise similar hub, which is a bit weird. Shimano ones are usually not like this but many others are.

'Kits' are not sold per se but if you need a replacement axle assy then obviously this is what you buy.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Not directly, as the actual axle lengths are different. Threaded needs a long axle to allow for the nuts, whereas a QR axle is recessed to allow the compression by the Quick release

It may be simpler and cheaper to fit track wing nuts

Or alternatively try the "Axle Release"
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Cunobelin wrote:

Or alternatively try the "Axle Release"

I'm interested to see that such a thing exists if for no other reason than that I had noted some time ago that such a thing would be possible to make.

However with the exception of IGH users (for whom a spanner seems like at least as good an idea....?) it seemed to me that these would be a bit clunky vs a proper QR. Or have I missed something?

cheers
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Yes - at least for the usual cup and cone type of axle from major hub manufacturers like Maillard and Shimano. You just need a QR axle and the QR mechanism and maybe new cones if the axle threading is different. I've done this on hubs from both manufacturers I've mentioned. Another idea is to fit wing nuts of the sort made by Gripfast , they're almost as convenient as QR.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is also sometimes possible to fit different axle assys into hubs they were not meant for, although you do need to be careful about the bearings. I have a set of maillard hubs running shimano axles and cones....but I couldn't use the original ball bearing sizes, because the cones are a different shape in one of the hubs.

cheers
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey I have a set of maillard hubs running shimano axles and cones....
cheers

I have the opposite or at least I did until the bike got nicked at my son's university. If anyone sees a blue MB of Dronfield tourer with Mercian built wheels in the Buckingham area it's probably mine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

Drake wrote:Is it possible to convert solid axle hubs to quick release.
If so, are there kits available or is it individual parts ?

A conversion is possible usually, since most solid axles are threaded and go with cup and cone bearings. It is often best to swap just the axles rather than the axle assemblies - especially if e.g. there is any metal dustcap integral to a cone, when finding such a cone in a different thread yet matching the hub shell perfectly could become a bit of a challenge. On the other hand if you swap just the axles with ones having the same threads you can reuse all the existing bits without having to worry about getting matching cones/dustcaps/spacers/seals etc.

The key is to id the existing threads. While there are exceptions the vast majority are M9 x 26tpi (Italian mostly) or M9 x 1mm (the rest) for the front, and M10 x 26tpi (Italian) or 3/8"(9.5mm) x 26tpi (usually Chinese) or M10 x 1mm (Japanese) for the rear. Hollow threaded axles are available for all these, indeed very cheaply except for the Italian ones, in various common lengths. To get the correct length add 10mm or 11mm to the dropout distance.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've converted a Halo hub with sealed bearings from solid axle to QR. Apart from buying the QR axle I had to buy a 6" section of small wall tube for the bearings to sit against.
Bdopino

Post by Bdopino »

Hi, guys, I was kindly referred to this thread from a related one. Hope you can help me with the following query.
I need to convert a solid axle rear wheel into a quick release wheel. I have never done this conversion before and I would like to know if you cold let me know where I could find a detailed tutorial (procedure and tools required). Also, I would appreciate it if you could suggest the components that I will need for this conversion based on the following tech specs of my current solid axle road bike (56cm frame size):
http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/ ... 81Q8LEUo4c

Many many thanks in advance!

PD: The idea is to be able to use my bike in the following trainer:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/inride-bike- ... 91570.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

trainers do destroy tyres so most people who use a trainer regularly have a special tyre, or a special wheel. A special wheel isn't a bad idea really; it might not cost that much more than an axle and the other odds and ends you would need.

cheers