Ergobrain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Ergobrain?

Post by Mick F »

Ergobrain.
Why did the idea die a death?

It learnt the sprocket/chainring combo that you were in and showed it visually, and displayed speed and cadence too.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Ergobrain?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You should always insert "Campagnolo" in the subject header then we know not to click............ :lol:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/train ... 24crx.aspx

"Bottom Line:
I have had the Ergobrain on my bike for over 4 yrs, and although I love the functionality and concept, mine has some problems that require constant screwing around with in order to get the correct chainring display. It continuously tells me I'm on the 39 when I am really on the 53. The opposite is also true: showing I am on the 53 when I am on the 39. When I "manually" switch it by depressing the left hood button, it stays correct for a few minutes and then switches back. I have recalibrated it and rewired it to no avail and my most common comment when riding." It's very aggraivating."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I think the idea of a more integrated computer was/is a sound one; a much less awkward solution than a computer mounted on a stem or your bars. Never used Ergobrain but I believe the continual flashing was not to everyone's liking.

I think the display of chainring/sprocket combination was perhaps unnecessary though when you could just look down.

Mick: This forum is full of Shimano-heathens that have never heard of Ergobrain.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Valbrona wrote:Mick: This forum is full of Shimano-heathens that have never heard of Ergobrain.
:lol: :lol:
I was being a bit provocative by posting the way I did, but am truly interested why it's all but disappeared.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

As I remember, Ergobrains were quite expensive and didn't really offer much advantage over a standard computer. If you want to know what gear you are in look at your cassette. Probably now superceded by GPS computers.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think in a world full of wireless computers, the wires all over that system seemed a bit clunky to some. I think it had some clever features and was not badly made (I think Campag had cat-eye do it for them).

However it wasn't a big seller, it tied you into that system, and the features it offered were not necessarily the most useful ones you could have.

I suppose it is a bit like having a built-in sat-nav in a car; it is eventually limiting and can be difficult or expensive to repair and/or upgrade.

Some folk suggest that they stopped making it in anticipation of a cleverer system to be integrated with EPS, but that doesn't explain the long wait and the number of non-ergobrain compatible levers they produced in recent years.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, wired computers are a thing of the past, so I do wonder why the Ergobrain wasn't updated.

I usually look down to see what gear I'm in, but it is a distraction especially in traffic when I should have my eyes upward rather than downward/rearward. Multi-cog/multi chainring systems are complicated enough and I often find I'm in an "illegal" gear - usually small/small - if I'm not concentrating. By having a display, it would make me take notice without taking my eyes away too far.

The Ergobrain was controlled by buttons inside the Ergo hoods so you didn't need to dab fingers on a computer button system and take your hands off the 'bars.

Maybe the pro riders don't have a problem these days?
Maybe a modern 11sp double isn't so fussy about "illegal" chainline?
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The world has moved on.

All the Pro's have powermeters now, getting power readings from the cranks or back wheel. They can also be teamed up with garmin devices, which give speed/cadence readouts.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com