Ad nauseum, life of composites

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Ad nauseum, life of composites

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Graham wrote:Bleep has been been removed from the forum.
Sorry it has taken so long to spot this. We have to use patterns because the IP addresses are dynamically allocated.

Grateful that you've left his posts in place (the thread would have been a little odd without them ;) )
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Graham wrote:Bleep has been been removed from the forum.
Sorry it has taken so long to spot this. We have to use patterns because the IP addresses are dynamically allocated.

Grateful that you've left his posts in place (the thread would have been a little odd without them ;) )

I deleted or edited the most insulting ones + responses, but tried to leave the debate/content.

:)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Forget about a potential CF Dawes Galaxy. I've love to see what a carbon Pashley Princess would look like :lol:

At least a CF utility bike would remain rust-free. And ding-free too (at least visible ones). It would be fun to see as a futuristic concept (and not necessarily in reality).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

One thing is clear, there a are many on this forum whom do not want to accept that carbon fibre is suitable for ALL types of cycling AND that it does have a shelf life more than a few circuits round the block..
I'm actually glad that these types don't/won't buy CF, it would serve no purpose other than to make them worry sick that it might explode at any second and even though I disgree with their nonsense no fact arguements regarding CF and it's longevity/uses I wouldn't want their ride/s spolit by having to constantly worry about said threat.. 8)

So carry on not buying/riding it and I'll keep on buying/riding it and enjoy it for what i know it gives me.
For me I'm done with this thread now, enjoy debating CF et al and maybe even fairies and their existance/non existance..you'll probably have more actual facts on that eh Brucey? :lol:
JimL

Post by JimL »

Tonyf33 wrote:One thing is clear, there a are many on this forum whom do not want to accept that carbon fibre is suitable for ALL types of cycling AND that it does have a shelf life more than a few circuits round the block..
I'm actually glad that these types don't/won't buy CF, it would serve no purpose other than to make them worry sick that it might explode at any second and even though I disgree with their nonsense no fact arguements regarding CF and it's longevity/uses I wouldn't want their ride/s spolit by having to constantly worry about said threat.. 8)

So carry on not buying/riding it and I'll keep on buying/riding it and enjoy it for what i know it gives me.
For me I'm done with this thread now, enjoy debating CF et al and maybe even fairies and their existance/non existance..you'll probably have more actual facts on that eh Brucey? :lol:

Agreed.

This has been 32 pages of mostly nonsense and strangely it is the anti- CF people who have completely bought the marketing hype that says that CF is only for wannabe racers and has to cost a fortune.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Tonyf33 wrote:One thing is clear, there a are many on this forum whom do not want to accept that carbon fibre is suitable for ALL types of cycling AND that it does have a shelf life more than a few circuits round the block..

well it evidently isn't and doesn't always respectively.

think again; I didn't say I wouldn't or that I haven't. I just can't (outside of certain forms of racing, when you have already dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't') see what the point is exactly.

I think if it 'gives you anything', it'll be between the ears and nowhere else. When the manufacturer's recommendation is that you chuck the thing in the bin if it has been in a shunt, regardless of how it looks, I'd sooner have a bike made from something else thank-you.

I can take a joke with the best of them but I've given you the benefit of my professional opinion on this matter, and in return I've been one the receiving end of a lot of ill-informed comment and invective, mostly from people that don't know what they are talking about.

I also think it is quite telling that I have heard of only one manufacturer of cycle components whose quality was so poor in recent years that they went out of business; they made carbon forks...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Tonyf33 wrote:...........................worry sick that it might explode at any second...................................

This straw man rubbish gives an insight into the argument. None of the proponents will engage with the caveats around CF that Trek document in their pdf linked to upthread so they invent something that's just hyperbole to rail against.

I'm often tempted to buy a CF frame but the equation doesn't work out for me yet. I need to buy one of the quality that will assure me of the ride I want but at the price I'd pay for something that's essentially disposable. They're getting there though.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JimL wrote:This has been 32 pages of mostly nonsense and strangely it is the anti- CF people who have completely bought the marketing hype that says that CF is only for wannabe racers and has to cost a fortune.

It doesn't have to cost more than a good frame in any other material

It does have to offer some advantage to compensate for the weakness outlined throughout this thread, as well as by Trek.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

No proof here either http://isolatecyclist.bostonbiker.org/2 ... ure-rates/

No facts, no numbers nothing to go on. Strange.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JimL wrote:......This has been 32 pages of mostly nonsense and strangely it is the anti- CF people who have completely bought the marketing hype that says that CF is only for wannabe racers and has to cost a fortune.

I really don't see how you come to that conclusion :? .
It is being marketed as the material for the sportive/race type bike in the road sector,and as race/fast bike in the MTB sector.
The link to the Trek website documents says it all IMHO with regard to it's intended lifecycle.
The more cyclists on CF with a short life cycle the better it suits manufacturers of CF bikes at whatever cost,as profit is realised on units sold.
It's not rocket science to see what's going on here,bull up CF as the greatest thing since sliced bread to a market that's being billed as the new golf,a martet where if you keep a bike for five years or more you a nobody,obviously there are exceptions to the rule,but generally that's the slant on it from the marketeer's POV.Sell cheap scrap them after a short life cycle or a prang and don't come crying us if you don't read the small print.

As for cost,yes the cost is coming down,but at what other cost?
So how durable is a CF utility bike likely to be in the cut and thrust of the everyday cycle rack scrum,etc?
Which leads to another point touched on briefly but I feel not answered satisfactorily.Whenever a CF bike's life is done,however long or short that is,is it more likely to finish up in landfill rather than be recycled in the same way steel and alu are?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Not my favourite company perhaps but interesting reading.

I don't suppose anyone on here would be daft enough to ride an aluminium bike?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86919 ... bon-bikes/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dave W wrote:http://www.elgcf.com/

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nimrc/resea ... fibre.aspx

On its way.

But not here specifically.
If I have CF frame that's scrap,will I be able to take it to my local waste disposal unit in the knowledge it be recycled?
I suspect not,for a product that's been on the market for 30+ years and in common used for the past 10years in bicycle manufacture alone,it's a bit slow coming,wouldn't you say?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dave W wrote:Not my favourite company perhaps but interesting reading.

The properties that make aluminum stiff also transfer road vibrations directly to the rider. Adding a carbon seat post, carbon fork or carbon handlebar can help dampen road vibrations and increase comfort when riding an aluminum frame.

Or buy some decent supple wide tyres and run them at correct pressures for load would help far more than any CF fork,h/bar or seatpost and be safer too

Aluminum frames possess the shortest fatigue life of any material used to manufacture bicycle frames. The typical aluminum frame possesses a life expectancy of five to 10 years. Conversely, carbon possesses the longest fatigue life. Most manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty on carbon frames. Some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their aluminum frames, but most offer five to 10 years.

By reading Trek's small print linked to above by IRC you get a better idea about CF's intended life span,you know Trek,the bike manufacturer who sponsored the cheat/bully/scally/discredited non champion to ride their bikes,the very same cheat/bully/scally/discredited non champion who's the founder of that website.
It's a bit of a merry-go-round is that one :?
Yours Truly
Fuddy duddy,grandad(soon to be great grandad),bald(grey haired elsewhere),yet happy,older citizen :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Jul 2014, 10:15pm, edited 7 times in total.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Dave W wrote:Not my favourite company perhaps but interesting reading.

One of my bikes has an aluminium frame, and I quite like it.

p.s. it also has :shock: carbon forks
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom