BB for a TA Zephyr Crankset, which one to buy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
recordacefromnew

Re: BB for a TA Zephyr Crankset, which one to buy?

Post by recordacefromnew »

Graham wrote:I've just noticed this revived topic.

I have an TA Zepyhr chainset on my mountain bike. 44-34-22 . running 8 speed cassette

Bought 2nd hand, in good condition - barely used.

A Shimano UN BB was provided with it - axle length 128mm. ( corrected to 128mm )

It runs very nicely on the mountain bike.

I had tried to fit it on my ancient Dawes Galaxy tourer, but started to run into typical compatibility problems with front derailleur, etc.
Ultimately, the pedals felt too wide apart and I removed it. Strangely enough on the MTB the pedals don't feel too wide apart although the distance must surely be the same !!

Road bikes and mtbs generally have different chainlines. Usually 45mm for road triples, and 47.5mm or 50mm for mtbs. Front mechs which not only have different cable pull requirements for road and mtb are also designed to work with different chainlines accordingly.
andrew_s

Re: BB for a TA Zephyr Crankset, which one to buy?

Post by andrew_s »

If the spare I have in my bits box is right, it's 127 mm JIS (shimano), for 46/36/20 triple on a Singular Peregrine, 135 mm 8 speed at the back.
All my other bikes are Stronglight Impact 110mm, and have been for a long time, so I doubt I'd have the spare if it wasn't right. Sorry, but I'm not taking the cranks off to check properly.