Saddles Again

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Claud

Saddles Again

Post by Claud »

Anyone know of a similar saddle to VNT Elements?:
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1208 ... ium-saddle
It has a flat top much like an Arione, and similar padding (ie. a bit but not a lot), but completely different base - honeycomb construction - which I guess is what makes all the difference to my butt.

I guess it must be made in the same factory as one of the bigger brands, but is just relabelled for van nicholas. Would be good to compare prices and 2nd-hand availability.

Thanks!

(PS. And if anyone here follows the RCUK forums, apologies for the cross post - no leads there, and my repeated attempts to reply never appeared!)
RRSODL

Re: Saddles Again

Post by RRSODL »

That looks very much like the Fizik Antares. Very flat and a little wider, shorter and lighter than the Fizik Arione.

I have one, with very little mileage, no accidents :D just not for my butt. All in black

You can have it for £40 + £5 postage - Paypal gift, bank transfer or cheque.
Claud

Post by Claud »

Cheers, but nope, that's not the one - just looked at pics online and it doesn't have a honeycomb construction base like the VNT (lots of hexagons cut right through the base) - pic of mine here, which is getting rather worn:
IMG_6152-001.JPG
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Claud wrote:Cheers, but nope, that's not the one - just looked at pics online and it doesn't have a honeycomb construction base like the VNT (lots of hexagons cut right through the base) - pic of mine here, which is getting rather worn:
IMG_6152-001.JPG

Is that a picture of the underside of your saddle?

I couldn't see the underside from the link you posted. The top part, where the rider sits is the same as the Antares which is the area I look at when buying a saddle. The VNT is not expensive so why don't you buy that? And if you have a VN bike the better :D My VN bike didn't come with a saddle that shape so I don't know what that feels like but the Antares feels quite firm but comfortable, my problem is that after 3 or 4 hours I get num bits :lol: otherwise the saddle would be one of the most comfortable saddles I've tried. I'm going to try the Antares Versus next.

Claud

Post by Claud »

Yep - that's the underside - poor pic, I know.

I too just used to look at the top part of the saddle. But having had very different experiences with the VNT and the Arione, which are really similar on top but v different underneath, I can now believe what every bike shop tells me that comfort depends on the base too (numb after 70 v. 40 miles :) ). In hindsight it does make sense that the flex of the whole thing should be part of the comfort, and that this is dependent on the base as well as the padding, width, flatness, etc.

I guess there must be other saddles with this kind of construction of the base? And to come back to the original question, probably something from the same factory?