Lowrider modification?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
VanDeRooster

Lowrider modification?

Post by VanDeRooster »

I've finally got round to fitting the TorTec Expedition Lowrider I purchased a few weeks ago and discovered that the bracket interferes with the front QR ...

I'm tempted to remove the excess with a Dremel. Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398248402.620062.jpg
Taller than you think ...
VanDeRooster

Re: Lowrider modification?

Post by VanDeRooster »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398250446.230611.jpg
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If it's done cleanly, no sharp edges or corners and so on, and depending on how much weight you expect to load onto the rack then that's what I'd do. Only other thing I can think of is a butchered washer the same thickness as the racks mounting point superglued to the dropout. The QR would then be tightened against the washer and rack but I'd worry about the front wheel being secure. I'd rather lose the rack than the wheel at speed personally.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

VanDeRooster wrote:
:o Err, no - is my thought :wink:

Have you got the instructions for this rack? It shouldn't look quite like this I suspect. That mid fork mounting - does the centre of that circular mounting rotate? In which case you could raise the rack by rotating that fixing, then mount the low mount by the lower of the two holes available. Use the spare hole to mount the mudguard stays.
RickH

Post by RickH »

CREPELLO wrote:
VanDeRooster wrote:

Have you got the instructions for this rack? It shouldn't look quite like this I suspect. That mid fork mounting - does the centre of that circular mounting rotate? In which case you could raise the rack by rotating that fixing, then mount the low mount by the lower of the two holes available. Use the spare hole to mount the mudguard stays.

What he says!
Road.CC review wrote:The fitting flexibility comes from a redesigned top mounting position. It's a circular insert drilled with three holes, that fits into a mount in the rack. You can bolt through any of the holes and also rotate the insert... (my bold, link)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

CREPELLO wrote:
VanDeRooster wrote:

I think you mean upper hole, yes? Which would lower the low-rider.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

mrjemm wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:
VanDeRooster wrote:

I think you mean upper hole, yes? Which would lower the low-rider.
I do actually mean use the lower hole. I've looked the RoadCC link above and the picture they have shows it the way you describe, but then there is no where for the mudguard to mount (and the lower hole is redundant). They were also lucky that the mount didn't obstruct the QR. There's always a chance that whoever installed that low rider fitted it incorrectly - it probably came fitted like that from a popular chain shop :lol:

Then again, perhaps that is the correct way :?
VanDeRooster

Lowrider modification?

Post by VanDeRooster »

If I use the lower hole on the lower mounting point none of the three holes on upper mount are near the mounting holes on the fork.

I guess the other option is to use brackets supplied to go on the upper legs.

The mudguards are "sharing" the same mounting point sat the rack at present.
Last edited by VanDeRooster on 23 Apr 2014, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanDeRooster

Post by VanDeRooster »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398255649.249550.jpg
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

VanDeRooster wrote:Image

Personally I would go with this, adding a bracket (supplied? or make one) to link the upper fork mounts with the position of the rotating rack mount.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

:oops:

Sorry Crepello, my brain must'a been off on another planet.
VanDeRooster

Post by VanDeRooster »

Might see if I can make an extension bracket of some sort as the supplied brackets are big & ugly. Was hoping to keep things "clean".
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Would a triangular bracket at the bottom perhaps be neater and simpler than something at the top?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What would it look loke if you rotated it forwards just enough to clear the QR?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:What would it look loke if you rotated it forwards just enough to clear the QR?

Not sure if I am grasping this correctly Bob, but looking at the 2nd pic, there's only a very small amount of lateral movement forward left on the disc, and the lower bracket will still hinder the QR skewer, let alone wheel release.

Strange, but it looks like there's no locking screw or device on the rotating part. Does it rely on the bolt going into the fork to lock?

I have a Salsa seatpost that uses a similar rotating part to change the seat angle, and find it over-complicated for little variation; in fact too little and with a slackish seat tube it's not possible to get a level saddle. I wonder if it is the most effective design for this use.