v-brake rubber boot

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niloc

v-brake rubber boot

Post by niloc »

I've just noticed that the v-brake rubber boots are deteriorating on one of my touring bikes after only 2 years. Since the mudguards protect the cable from the tyres - are these boots really necessary on a touring bike?
tatanab

Re: v-brake rubber boot

Post by tatanab »

I never use them. As you say, all is fairly well protected.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:I never use them. As you say, all is fairly well protected.

Agreed,the cable is exiting the outer facing down so nothing is going cause any problem,in the same way caliper brakes don't have any rubber boots.
I alway grease inner cable with a thin grease(Weldtite red with Teflon is good) so the chances of problems are even lessened.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

weatherproofing-wise they are not really necessary on a bike with mudguards, (although the water will get in there and make the cable draggy eventually, whatever you do).

However they do have a secondary function; they (very slightly) reduce the chance of the noodle popping out if your bike takes a knock when it is parked, or if the arms start to bind and the cable goes slack with the arms still together....

Personally, I always fit them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

reohn2 wrote:
tatanab wrote:I never use them. As you say, all is fairly well protected.

Agreed,the cable is exiting the outer facing down so nothing is going cause any problem,in the same way caliper brakes don't have any rubber boots.
I alway grease inner cable with a thin grease(Weldtite red with Teflon is good) so the chances of problems are even lessened.

Whereas BB7 brakes mounted on a chainstay leave the cable end pointing up, and those rubbers are terrible. And essentially unavailable, hence a thread I began not so long ago... One advantage of seat-stay mounted (mech) disc brakes, though of course they're not in the 'splashzone' like rim brakes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:
Whereas BB7 brakes mounted on a chainstay leave the cable end pointing up, and those rubbers are terrible. And essentially unavailable, hence a thread I began not so long ago... One advantage of seat-stay mounted (mech) disc brakes, though of course they're not in the 'splashzone' like rim brakes.

BB7's on the chainstay with the outer running along the top of it,are in the splashzone when washing the bike or in heavy rain and the reason I fill the 'ikle rubber belows/gromit/boot up with grease on assembly and replenish(like that word :) ) bi annually :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

The Shimano R463 90mm v brake I have on the front of my touring bike has a different shaped, slimmer, rubber boot, possibly so it works better with mudguards?

The rubber boot on one of the Tektro MIni Vs on my folder went rock hard after a few years, then crumbled, then I did replace it as the brake is in a rather exposed position below the chainstay bridge.
tony_s

Post by tony_s »

A cautionary tale, suggesting a reason why the boot could even be considered harmful -
I once discovered a V-brake dangerously ineffective because the concertina boot reached the limit of its compression before full brake squeeze, this state of affairs having crept up gradually as the shoes wore down and the resulting slack was taken up by progressive adjustment at the lever.