Fitting new rear mech and chain splitting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

Fitting new rear mech and chain splitting

Post by Colin Stanley »

I have been asked to install a new rear SRAM mech due to damage of old one. I am a bit worried about splitting the chain and then re-riviting it as I think it is a 10 speed (I only have spare 9 speed Connex quick fit links). Perhaps a safer option is to remove the old mech and replace with the new one by removing the jockey wheels thus leaving the chain undisturbed?
531colin

Re: Fitting new rear mech and chain splitting

Post by 531colin »

10 speed chain should already be joined by a magic link, shouldn't it?
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

I haven't seen the bike yet, so not sure. I hope you are right!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

If it's a SRAM 10s chain, the black PowerLock link is one-time use only
If Shimano and factory fit then it's probably joined with a special rivet, don't split it here

You'll need to do some research on splitting and re-joining your specific chain, there's a good guide here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-installation-derailleur-bikes

I suggest buying the appropriate "special" link and carry a second as spare, they seem to come in pairs

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Colin Stanley wrote:Perhaps a safer option is to remove the old mech and replace with the new one by removing the jockey wheels thus leaving the chain undisturbed?
That's the easy way. Why would anybody take the easy way when then can mess around with splitting the chain and refitting one time use link or pin? Assuming of course it is a like for like replacement of the mech and you do not need to shorten the chain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:
Colin Stanley wrote:Perhaps a safer option is to remove the old mech and replace with the new one by removing the jockey wheels thus leaving the chain undisturbed?
That's the easy way. Why would anybody take the easy way when then can mess around with splitting the chain and refitting one time use link or pin? Assuming of course it is a like for like replacement of the mech and you do not need to shorten the chain.

Plus you only need to remove the bottom jockey wheel not both :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

I am not familiar with an SRAM rear mech, but my Campy Record jockey cage has returns (bent over bits) to (I assume) prevent chain jump and so I would have to remove the inner cage plate and the 2 jockey wheels. As it is for a friend, and if it is a 'one time' chain connector, I might remove the jockey wheels.

Many thanks for all the inputs.