Campag compatiable chainrings 7/8 speed?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
kenster

Campag compatiable chainrings 7/8 speed?

Post by kenster »

HI guys, trying to get time to finish off the peugeot 531 pro i bought off here earlier in the month.
I have put on 8 speed mirage shifters, it currently has ultegra rear mech but i am replacing this with a mirage 8 speed rear mech. I can see the inner ring is in need of replacing and I thought as the rear cassette is very tidy (new wheel I bought to put on it) I would replace the outer at the same time.
My question therefore is what do people recommend I put on there? are there any reliable chainrings out there that i could use other than campag? (TRYING to keep cost down as much as possible).
The rear cassette is 7 speed campag and from my previous posts i believe both campag 7 and 8 speed are compatiable.
Thanks jon
mig

Re: Campag compatiable chainrings 7/8 speed?

Post by mig »

TA are well finished and reliable but probably not cheap.
kenster

Post by kenster »

Anyone got any views on stronglight? There entry level rings suggest they are campag 8-10 speed compatible?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Not sure what 'entry level' means, but the budget Stronglight ones should work with Campag 8 speed. Can't see a reason why they would not as with a double chainset spacing is in large part achieved by the thickness of the tab to which both chainrings are bolted.
I should coco.
kenster

Post by kenster »

Thanks I'm going to ring Ribble later and all some questions
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

Campagnolo don't use the web spacings on their chainset spider to set the chainring spacing - they use the position of the teeth across the thickness of the chainring and the thickness of the chainring itself, in some cases. They have also at various times dished the outer chainring slightly.

For 7 to 8s, if vintage Campag chainrings can't be had or are beyond what the OP wants to spend, TA or Gebhardt are a good choice - they are properly made, CNC'd from plate and hard wearing.

Cheaper rings are usually stamped (sometimes CNC'd afterwards for greater precision) - so generally initially slightly harder (work hardening at the stamped margin) but underneath, typically softer than machined from solid as stamping needs a softer material in any case.

HTH
Graeme
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre