Tyres just for a change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bg

Tyres just for a change

Post by bg »

Hi
I have looked at lots of posts regarding punctures and sorry if this has been answered before.
At present am running on Conti GP 4seasons and had done about 1000 miles without a puncture.

Over the last few weeks I have had numerous pinch puntures so have tried varying pressures to no avail.
How long should these tyres last for or what else can I do
mjr

Re: Tyres just for a change

Post by mjr »

I'd expect them to last longer than that but I've not tried that particular tyre. What size, what rims and what pressures?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd suggest that you check your pressure gauge calibration, and also that you are not using tubes with slow punctures in them. If a tyre softens mid-ride you will get pinch flats for sure.

It won't help if you are riding on rough surfaces, too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
My 28mm GP4-seasons lasted several times that mileage without p*******s.
I run F90psi and R100psi (according to my gauge). Recommended pressures here... http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix%204%20season.shtml
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

I can't see why a tyre of any age should start getting pinch punctures. Age (and the accompanying wear) leads to normal punctures through the tread.
bg

Post by bg »

Rims are 622x13 suitable for my 700x25 but they are very tight.

Pressure about 100 but have tried 80-120 but no difference perhaps I best try different pressure gauge.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Pressures in that range should affect ride, but pinch punctures are caused by very low pressures, or errors in fitting (which are more likely with tyres that are a tight fit). Are you sure that you are not causing the punctures while fitting tyres?