How can I shorten or lengthen me gear cable ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
theDaveB

How can I shorten or lengthen me gear cable ?

Post by theDaveB »

When I connect my trailer the gear cable presses against it and need to make it longer or shorter, no idea how.

Dave
tatanab

Re: How can I shorten or lengthen me gear cable ?

Post by tatanab »

It doesn't matter that the trailer fitting presses against it since it will not affect your gear change because the important bit (the inner) is constrained inside the outer.

To make it longer you need a longer piece of cable outer, then having disconnected the inner you fit the new outer and reconnect the inner. Then you reset the inner cable tension to make the indexing work properly. I'd suggest that since you are asking the question then maybe it is best left alone.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can the trailer hitch go on the other side?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Cheers guys.

The trailer attaches to both sides.

Thought it might be a bit much for me and as your saying it doesn't matter as its only the outer, am going to leave it for now.

If I ever have my bike in the shop for something else I could always ask them to do it.

Thanks again,

Dave
Si

Post by Si »

Try it and see if it makes a difference to gear changes. If just deflecting the outer a bit then it will be OK, but if it pushes the outer over so much that it pulls it out of the stop then the gear changes will suffer.

The solutions for the latter are, as said, fit the trailer on the other side*, or replace the outer with a longer length so that it can be moved without pulling it out of the stop.

* I believe that it is traditional in this country to have the trailer mounted on the left as left turns are often sharper than right.....but if you look around you'll find them used happily on both sides.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I would put some insulation tape on the cable where it touches the hitch. The vibration wears through the soft outer layer of the cable, then water gets in and your cable starts rusting or sticking.
the insulation tape will wear out too, so you add more occasionally.