Lock recommendation for upcoming tour

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Godlykepower

Lock recommendation for upcoming tour

Post by Godlykepower »

I'm off in just over a week for a few days around Norfolk, and I realised today I'll probably need a lock of some description.

I've not used a lock since I was in school so I have no idea what I need or what is good.

I don't plan on being away from the bike for an extended period, just to keep it secure when I pop into a shop and possibly at the campsite I stay at each night.

I want something that is not obtrusive on the bike whilst being transported, so I expect it will be either a cable or chain lock? The only name I can see from a quick search is Abus, which appears to be well regarded, but there seem to be lots to choose from.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
CREPELLO

Re: Lock recommendation for upcoming tour

Post by CREPELLO »

I'm no sure how much you want to spend. My approach is to lock the wheels with Pitlock skewers... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pitlock/ ...then use a mini D lock http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Evol ... _53382.htm You won't need the cable to lock the wheels.

For storage, the lock loops onto a pannier bag or fits in an external pannier pocket. The lock is 700g, so it's a good compromise between weight and security IMO.
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

Recent posts here too: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85210
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

a) how valuable is the bike and is it insured? how replaceable is it?

b) I would never leave on trip any where ( unless a day trip maybe) without my D lock. For a tour add a long cable to loop into your tent or around a tree. how much is peace of mind worth? Maybe superglue ball bearings into the seat hex bolt/nut s. Norfolk may be back of beyond but they arnt country bumpkins.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

mercalia wrote:a) how valuable is the bike and is it insured? how replaceable is it?

b) I would never leave on trip any where ( unless a day trip maybe) without my D lock. For a tour add a long cable to loop into your tent or around a tree. how much is peace of mind worth? Maybe superglue ball bearings into the seat hex bolt/nut s. Norfolk may be back of beyond but they arnt country bumpkins.

If you go down the superglue+ball bearing route, carry a needle and the stuff which will (slowly) help dissolve the glue in case you need to make adjustments.