Actual 28mm Road tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Actual 28mm Road tyres?

Post by UpWrong »

I'm trying to find a comfortable reasonably quick and reasonably p*ncture proof tyre for my Thorn Audax Mk3. I had a 28mm Ultremo ZX which had great comfort, but am after something with a little more fairy resistance, I put a Gatorskin on but it is noticeably harsher. My steel rule reveals that the Ultremo is a true 28mm width on the Open Sport rim whilst the Gatorskin is more like 26mm.

Thorn suggest the 28mm Pasela Touguard, however I found an internet post which gave the mounted width as 26mm. Another option in the Thorn catalogue is the 32c Marathon Supreme which they say is an actual 30mm. Sounds a bit tight with mudguards and maybe not as quick as I'd like.

I've also read the 28c Conti GP 4-season is undersized at 26mm.

I'm inclined to go with a 28mm Durano. I know the 559 version is a true 28mm. I'm wondering if the std Conti GP is another option. I don't know the true width although the 559 is a true 28mm. However Conti do seem to consistently undersize in their road tyres. Also perhaps no more robust than the Ultremo ZX. So I'm leaning towards the Durano. Can anyone measure their 28mm Durano or Conti GP for me. Or suggest another option that gives the full width?
tatanab

Re: Actual 28mm Road tyres?

Post by tatanab »

UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Interesting option. Technical spec says 27tpi with a bead to bead shield. I think the Durano will be a lot more comfortable, though less puncture resistant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IME Ribmos are correct for size.
Gators are under size,I have 32mm Gators fitted to my Audax Mk3 ATM on a wider rim than yours,they measure 30wx30h(ridden at 55psi front,80psi rear)and clearances are 8to10mm with 35mm Bluemels half round m/guards.

I've tried 30mm Mara Racers which measured 28x28 but weren't comfortable.
28mm Paselas measure 26mm but are more comfortable than anything else in that size,what the 32mm measure I've no idea.
The nicest ride on it has been on 35mm Kojaks which are very nice tyres but measure 32wx32h so no room for m/guards :?

TBH I'm in a bit of a quandary about the bike.
I've spent some time trying to get it as comfortable as possible but when I've been riding my Vaya or Kona with light supple 35x35mm tyres it's harsh,not only that it's not much quicker :? .
I've been on the verge of selling it so many times recently that I'm beginning to think it's the best thing to do as the roads don't appear to be getting any better and repair standards are becoming laughable if they weren't so deplorable.I'm getting older and life's too short to hold on to something I don't use :? .
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Apr 2014, 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Interesting info. The post I previously read which said the 28 Paselas were 26mm also said the 32s measured 30mm. So you could take a risk and try one. It might just squeeze under the guards, but you'd think Thorn would mention that if it were the case.

I've ordered a Durano so I'll let you know how that goes. I have experience of them in 406 and 559 size at 28mm. They can be run at 80 or 85 psi ok.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

UpWrong wrote:Interesting info. The post I previously read which said the 28 Paselas were 26mm also said the 32s measured 30mm. So you could take a risk and try one. It might just squeeze under the guards, but you'd think Thorn would mention that if it were the case.

I've ordered a Durano so I'll let you know how that goes. I have experience of them in 406 and 559 size at 28mm. They can be run at 80 or 85 psi ok.

I made a decision whilst replying to your post:- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=85989
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Actual tyre width is always going to vary depending on the rim it's fitted to. What you're looking for is a comfy, reasonably durable tyre. If it meets that criteria the measured width isn't really that important is it? On my Audax bike, with deep drop brakes at the bottom of the slots and Open Pro rims, I've used
28mm Conti 4 seasons (Measure 27.2) - by far the comfiest and fastest tyre, reasonably puncture resistant, but tend to wear quite fast.
28mm Passela Tourguards (Can't remember the exact measure, just under 27mm) - Not quite as comfy or fast as the 4 seasons, though not far behind. Puncture resistant at first, but once worn seem to pick up a few, last a bit longer than the contis and are a lot cheaper.
30mm Marathon Racers (Measure 29.1) - best puncture resistance, longest lasting, mid price, not quite as plush a ride as the others and the bike feels a little slower.
All measured across the width, I also measured the height but can't find it.

If the conti's lasted longer, or I could afford to replace them more often, they would be my tyre of choice, every time. At the moment I'm running a Marathon Racer at the back and a 4 season on the front, it's a compromise that suites me.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

Tyre size depends on both rim size and pressure. On my 622x 15 rims (Mavic CXP 33 and some Rodi rims, also 15 mm wide), both my Continental Gatorskins and my Gator Hardshells are 27.6 mm wide measured as an average with a digital calliper. Both tyres were at 7.5 bar/109 PSI. I am quite confident they would be very close to 28 mm when inflated to their maximum 8 bar/ 116 PSI.
The Gatorskins are the newish model with Vectran breaker. I wouldn't call them a harsh ride, but they are not as smooth riding as a 200g racing tyre of course.

I don't remember the exact with of my Conti 4 Seasons, but I think it was around 27.xx mm at around 100 to 110 PSI, so I think they will be pretty close to 28 mm at their max inflation pressure on a standard 15 mm wide rim.

For some unknown reason 28 mm tyres are getting popular, so there is quite a selection to choose from this year: Continentals new top racing tyre, the "Gran Prix 4000S II" comes in two 28 mm versions (with and without side wall reflexes). Probably better puncture protection than on your ZX tyres.
The GP4S is also a good choice, but also rather expensive. Its rubber compound doesn't harden when it becomes cold, so it is an excellent winter training tyre. Feels like a racing tyre to ride.

The new 28 mm Gran Prix tyres are very attractive; they have the same nice rubber compound as the GP4000S II, but with a slightly less advanced carcass and are only wire bead in the 28 mm version. But the price is nice. Seen them for around 20 Euro/£17 in Germany.
--
Regards
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Just a quick update with the arrival of the 28mm folding Durano .... which measures 25 mm. It's interesting feeling it next to the Gatorskin, next to the Ultremo ZX, next to a Pasela PT (Tourguard replacement). The Ultremo has the thinnest belt and the most silk-like sidewall. The Durano and Pasela are next and are comparable for belt, with the Pasela possibly having more flexible sidewalls. Then the Gatorskin trails in with an incredibly thick belt and the thickest sidewallls.

The Ultremo has the widtth and the construction to make it the most comfortable 28mm tyre.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Well it depends what rim it's on ...
I should coco.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

All measure on the same rim, a Mavic Open Sport. This has a 15mm internal width which is well suited to a 28mm tyre.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have 25mm gatorskins on mine, and I have been rather tempted to change to 28mm GP4 season tyres. My only concern is I have a pump on the pump peg and its actually indented the rear mudguard and I'm worried that this will touch the tyres. May well just have to give it a go!
niggle

Post by niggle »

Another actual 28mm tyre: Giant P-SL2 700x28c tyres are being sold by Rutland Cycles for £6.99 at the moment (plus £2.99 P+P if order under £20). They are folders that weigh 270g, with quite decent rolling and comfort in my opinion and they do measure a genuine 28mm on a 15mm rim. They compare well with 700x28c Vittoria Rubino Pros that weigh 245g and measure 26mm on the same rim.

Note different tyres for front or rear fitment due to different compounds with different grip and wear characteristics: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/110377/pr ... 0x28c.aspx

However I am feeling rather the same as Reohn2 towards my road/audax bike (Genesis Equilibrium), finding I am somewhat reluctant to use it now I have a touring bike (Claud Butler Dalesman) which will take lovely Vittoria Voyager Hyper 35mm tyres. The harsher ride on the Genesis, whatever tyres are fitted, is off putting, i.e. it actually mars my enjoyment of cycling. At some point I think the Genesis will have to be replaced by something like a steel cross bike with room at least for genuine 32mm tyres and mudguards...

Incidentally when I had a pair of 700x32c Panaracer Pasela TGs on a previous touring bike they measured a full 32m on ancient Wolber Champion rims.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

thanks for the heads up on the tyres they look like they are good value.

Re the ride quality thing; would I be right in thinking that your Dalesman has standard tube gauges and a 1" fork but your Equilibrium has slightly oversized tubes and a 1-1/8" fork?

If so I wonder how much difference that would make to you? In the interests of science, have you tried putting the wheels from the Genesis into the Dalesman? That might be interesting....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

the rutland cycling tyres are "front only"..??