rear wheel build & dishing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

rear wheel build & dishing

Post by mig »

i have built a fair few front wheels plus the odd undished rear for fixed gears. i'm now going to have a bash at a rear for derailleur gears, most likely 8spd, 36H and 3 cross (maybe over easter if mrs mig leaves off with the painting duties etc.)

a few questions for you more sage builders :

1. are there any particular hubs that tend to be easier to work with? i believe campagnolo ones are more difficult due to the flange spacing.
2. when laced with say 1 thread on each spoke showing how far 'out' is the dishing typically? i'm assuming quite a fair bit as the DS spokes will require more tightening from that point onwards.
3. do i really really really need a dishing tool? :wink:

ta muchly.

warning further questions may follow. :D
tatanab

Re: rear wheel build & dishing

Post by tatanab »

1. I've not noticed any difference.
2. unanswerable
3. Not if you have a bike lying around. Fit the wheel one way in the frame and then reverse it. If the rim runs central in both orientations then the dishing is correct. If you have an ultra rigid wheel building jig then you can do the same here. My Minoura jig is too flexible for that so I use a dishing tool.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've always found you need to start paying attention to dishing quite early in the tensioning process. Turning the wheel in a frame with a couple of chopped off to a point cut off cable ties does the job as said.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote:i have built a fair few front wheels plus the odd undished rear for fixed gears. i'm now going to have a bash at a rear for derailleur gears, most likely 8spd, 36H and 3 cross (maybe over easter if mrs mig leaves off with the painting duties etc.)

a few questions for you more sage builders :

1. are there any particular hubs that tend to be easier to work with? i believe campagnolo ones are more difficult due to the flange spacing.
2. when laced with say 1 thread on each spoke showing how far 'out' is the dishing typically? i'm assuming quite a fair bit as the DS spokes will require more tightening from that point onwards.
3. do i really really really need a dishing tool? :wink:

ta muchly.

warning further questions may follow. :D

1) Some rears are more awkward than others just because they need more dish overall even for 'the same' wheel. Campag freehub style ones can't easily be redished or respaced, which is annoying.

2) It depends how accurate your spoke lengths were and how good the rim is etc.

3) No. But it does make the job a bit quicker.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tom_e

Post by tom_e »

1. Not that I've noticed, though I've not done any campagnolo.

2. Depends on the hub and the spoke lengths. Usually, the calculated spoke lengths round to something different for each side, so you might typically end up with 2mm longer spokes on the NDS side. So it starts off with a bit of dish in the right direction already. Doesn't make any difference though, you turn the nipples until the rim is in the right place.

3. No. If I were being really anal or being paid to build wheels for someone else, then yes. For myself, I just turn the wheel round a few times and compare.