Advice - readying my new bike for a 3 week tour

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: Advice - readying my new bike for a 3 week tour

Post by horizon »

honesty wrote:Have a look at Spa cycles for hand built wheels. theres no need to go over the top as you could get some cheap, heavy, but decent touring wheels and keep the RS10s for when you just want to ride the bike at home.

That seems a good way of resolving the issue anyway - two bikes for the price of one.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nibbler12

Post by nibbler12 »

Value for money is my Priority. I have no attachment to the RS10s so would rather sell them and save a bit of money. I'm not planning on doing any sportives/similar soon, I'm more interested in the Reynolds frame and good-quality components that came on the bike - admittedly I should have done a little more research on the wheels. I think a lbs should do me a rear wheel at an acceptable price and then I can see what my options are with the front wheel when I have sold the RS10s, perhaps. A319s should be a solid option though, I'm guessing?
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

For light touring there is no need for wide trekking rims unless you want wide tyres too. A standard 36H rim will do. Here is a design I would recommend as a very strong, but reasonable light weight wheel set:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:339578

It has Shimano Tiagra 36H hubs. They are really nice, and despite not being expensive, easily surpasses many hubs in factory wheels. They are cup-and-cone design so they can take a heavy load, spare parts for them are cheap and available everywhere, their sealing is excellent so riding in heavy downpours doesn't wash out all the grease. I bought mine some years ago for my winter wheels to spare my expensive Ultegra hubs, but I have been using them daily on my commuter bike ever since.

DT Swiss Competition spokes. They are swaged (DB) 2.0/1.8 mm, cold forged stainless steel, high quality spokes from are well known manufacturer. Recommended.

The rims are fairly standard 500g rims, with double SS eyelets, and made of 6061 T6 aluminium.
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:333724
I think they are rebranded Rodi rims.

The design: 36 spokes in a 3 cross configuration is very strong. Probably has a static load bearing capacity of +400kg. All the parts are excellent too with spares available, and the price isn't bad at all. Rosebikes also have an excellent reputation too, but my point is not so much to recommend exactly this wheel set, as to show that a good all-around wheel set with a sound design doesn't have to be expensive.
--
Regards
nibbler12

Post by nibbler12 »

That's great advice, thanks. I am having a little trouble making sense of their website though - are those in stock or not? It's a little difficult to tell - I suspect it's a transliteration of some German. I'm in no rush either way.

Edit: looks like the white ones are but the black ones aren't. I'm not fussed about colour but I like that price, so will consider ordering soon. Thanks again for the useful advice!
interestedcp wrote:For light touring there is no need for wide trekking rims unless you want wide tyres too. A standard 36H rim will do. Here is a design I would recommend as a very strong, but reasonable light weight wheel set:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:339578

It has Shimano Tiagra 36H hubs. They are really nice, and despite not being expensive, easily surpasses many hubs in factory wheels. They are cup-and-cone design so they can take a heavy load, spare parts for them are cheap and available everywhere, their sealing is excellent so riding in heavy downpours doesn't wash out all the grease. I bought mine some years ago for my winter wheels to spare my expensive Ultegra hubs, but I have been using them daily on my commuter bike ever since.

DT Swiss Competition spokes. They are swaged (DB) 2.0/1.8 mm, cold forged stainless steel, high quality spokes from are well known manufacturer. Recommended.

The rims are fairly standard 500g rims, with double SS eyelets, and made of 6061 T6 aluminium.
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:333724
I think they are rebranded Rodi rims.

The design: 36 spokes in a 3 cross configuration is very strong. Probably has a static load bearing capacity of +400kg. All the parts are excellent too with spares available, and the price isn't bad at all. Rosebikes also have an excellent reputation too, but my point is not so much to recommend exactly this wheel set, as to show that a good all-around wheel set with a sound design doesn't have to be expensive.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

nibbler12 wrote:That's great advice, thanks. I am having a little trouble making sense of their website though - are those in stock or not? It's a little difficult to tell - I suspect it's a transliteration of some German. I'm in no rush either way.

No need to worry, Rose wheels are built to order so they always show up as out of stock. Place the order and they will build them up and send them to you. Remember to factor in the postage cost.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

nibbler12 wrote:That's great advice, thanks. I am having a little trouble making sense of their website though - are those in stock or not? It's a little difficult to tell - I suspect it's a transliteration of some German. I'm in no rush either way.

Edit: looks like the white ones are but the black ones aren't. I'm not fussed about colour but I like that price, so will consider ordering soon. Thanks again for the useful advice!

All their traditionally designed wheels shows up as "Delivery time has to be enquired". One can just order them anyway. Usually the order time is around 3 days. Just email them in advance if in doubt. The "..not in stock in Biketown" refers to their rather large physical shop in Bochum, and is meant as a service for those planning to visit the shop.
--
Regards
nibbler12

Post by nibbler12 »

And my current 25c tubes and tyres will fit these rims right? I can't see it stated explicitly anywhere what is compatible.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

interestedcp wrote:The "..not in stock in Biketown" refers to their rather large physical shop in Bochum, and is meant as a service for those planning to visit the shop.

Not Bochum but Bocholt some 100+ km away! Well worth a visit if you are in the area :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

nibbler12 wrote:And my current 25c tubes and tyres will fit these rims right? I can't see it stated explicitly anywhere what is compatible.

The rims are "ETRTO: 622 x 15 C". So 20-28 mm is considered the optimum size range. 25 mm tyres are just perfect. They require "16 mm" rim tape too. I have no idea if the wheels come with rim tape or not. If they don't, remember to buy it at the same time:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/schw ... /aid:49375
--
Regards
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

foxyrider wrote:
interestedcp wrote:The "..not in stock in Biketown" refers to their rather large physical shop in Bochum, and is meant as a service for those planning to visit the shop.

Not Bochum but Bocholt some 100+ km away! Well worth a visit if you are in the area :D

Of course it is Bocholt. I think I need some more tea.
--
Regards
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Mick F wrote:I'm off Up North for a couple of weeks - 800miles - and I'm off in early/mid May.

Bike will get a full strip-down and re-build in the next few weeks. Both hubs, BB, headset, both gear mechs, new tyres

New tyres? i've no wish to query anything if it works for anyone, old bean, but unless your tyres current tyres don't have 800 miles left in them, then i am left wondering if a new pair of tyres for a 800 mile trip across Blightly.... might be considered just a tad excessive?
...or perhaps i've been using second hand tyres for too long... mind you, always worth checking how much life is left in your wheel rims.. been on a couple of tours where other riders have had their holiday cut short by their rims splitting, also worth checking on the condition of your gear and brake cables too, although i tend not to renew mine before a tour if i can help it ~ otherwise they get a bit stretched at the start and i spend the rest of the tour forever adjusting them..
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

My advice is (Based on being 15.10 lb while touring for about 10 years, but now down to 13.10)...

Get very stiff rims (v-sectionish) with 36 for rear and for front (32 will do there), well-built and stress relieved (google that). DT spokes, shimano hubs.

Stress - relieving reduced my touring breakages from frequent to very infrequent.

PM me if you want MY way of doing it.
scottg

Post by scottg »

A test ride with loaded panniers & bags is a good idea,
include some nice 1 in 5 hills to get an idea of how the bike
feels climbing loaded. Then some down hills.

Dodgy handling and a truing wheels in French drainage
ditches doesn't make for fun tour.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++