Road bike for £1k?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
in4time

Road bike for £1k?

Post by in4time »

I'm a tourer at heart but would like to get a road bike for a bit of fun. Any suggestions for around £1K? I've no preference re alu, carbon or steel but would just like something a tad lively thats comfortable for doing a day ride on.
Godlykepower

Re: Road bike for £1k?

Post by Godlykepower »

Im in much the same predicament, I'm too old and portly to warrant getting anything expensive and super-cool, as much as I'd like to relive my youthful days of being a racer, but I want something more sprightly than my Surly, but only for occasional use.

I quite like the look and price of the Ribble 7005 Sportive.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRA&bike=1

Seems really good value.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
in4time

Post by in4time »

Thanks. Having read so many reviews etc. I think I've reached saturation point and need a 'cut-through' suggestion from someone more knowledgeable. Ribble is now in the mix. :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm currently riding a Trek Domane 2.0 with Tiagra kit that cost £999. Had it for 18 months and very pleased with it. The main reason I got it was that it's got a triple chainset and a bottom gear of 30 x 30, so that I can haul my 17st self up the Derbyshire hills!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

stupid question; do you want the thing done and dusted for £1K or would you look to modify/upgrade in the future if it wasn't quite right?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

£1017 with full Centaur group set http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERW and only 1133 with full Athena
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JenniferAdcock

Post by JenniferAdcock »

Planetx Pro Carbon is a good bike for 1k. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT ... -road-bike
videoman

Post by videoman »

I'm was in similar position as well as have been riding a Dawes Sardar for the last few years but at 54yrs old and wanting to try something a bit more sporty have just purchase a new Trek Domane 2 with a triple, picked it up a week last Wednesday but have not managed to turn a pedal yet. Looked at most of the competition, Giant Defy 1 and Cannondale Synapse but let coming back to the Domane as it has a triple fitted and the hills do not get any easier especially with dodgy knees.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I must say the PX would be high up on my list too. But the position is a bit low for some folk (unless you can tolerate a longer top tube and go up a size) the gears are not that low and proper mudguards can't be fitted. If they did a slightly different version that addressed these issues (and sold it as a training bike/audax bike or something) at a similar price it would sell like hot cakes I am sure. It is cracking value as it is though.

cheers
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Spa Audax?http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2866

I don't have one but they look nice. I have a less nice (but lovely all the same) Dawes Century SE which feels a lot faster than my tourer.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:I must say the PX would be high up on my list too. But the position is a bit low for some folk (unless you can tolerate a longer top tube and go up a size) the gears are not that low and proper mudguards can't be fitted. If they did a slightly different version that addressed these issues (and sold it as a training bike/audax bike or something) at a similar price it would sell like hot cakes I am sure. It is cracking value as it is though.

cheers

Like this you mean?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERW
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

in4time wrote
comfortable for doing a day ride on

I've got this, and it suits me absolutely http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-trent ... 58999.html At £1049.95 it has Ultegra 6800 transmission, Merlin also do an 105-equipped SL Comp at £899.99

My concern would be what you regard as comfortable, their Fermo SL cyclocross has different gearing and fatter tyres fitted if this suits you better.

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it isn't far off the mark, is it?

cheers
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:

it isn't far off the mark, is it?

cheers

Nope and looking on their bikebuilder page you can spec it with any group set from Sora all the way up to Super Record EPS including the option of quite a few triples. Oh and it has clearance for mudguards and 25 mil tyres.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

A couple more to add to the mix

1. Aluminium Trek Domane, supposed to be really comfortable and you may just get a carbon in the sales
2. Specialized roubaix , but difficult to get at that price point
3. Giant to a couple of models, so worth a pop down to their store
4. Genesis equilibrium - in steel with carbon fork, a little heavier

If it was a second bike for high days and holidays the Trek Domane would get my vote. I realise that the ribble and planetx are probably better vfm, but I like new tech.