hydraulic lift - roof mount system very hard work - stuck?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bornfree

hydraulic lift - roof mount system very hard work - stuck?

Post by bornfree »

We've just got a hydraulic lift/carrier for a roof bar tandem mounting system, secondhand. Similar to the BTS or Atera one, although only markings seem to be GS. But the hydraulic bit seems very very stiff, the piston will move a few inches under a lot of force, but no more. Any ideas please? Should I squirt some WD40 down the hydraulic piston? Or what?
anniesboy

Re: hydraulic lift - roof mount system very hard work - stuc

Post by anniesboy »

I dont really know,I have been thinking of buying one myself.
I came across this on tandem club forum, https://www.tandem-club.org.uk/files/pu ... read=13860

The Tandem Club forum might be another source of advice
bornfree

Post by bornfree »

Ah, thanks for that link! It looks like a really good piece of kit, if the hydraulic bit was working better. I managed to get it right down last night, but used a lot of force to move it into the right position.
prm

Post by prm »

Regret I’ve never encountered a tandem lift fitted with GS hydraulic system but a few general pointers that may help.

Should imagine the pump and ram is an integral hydraulic unit rather than a gas/spring counterbalance unit.

With difficulty in lowering, where the ram length is reduced, possibly??? the pressure release valve is not opening correctly.
Pressure release valves can be rotary or lever operated. Rotary types are gradually unscrewed where a degree of pressure release/lowering rate, can be regulated. Lever types are normally open or closed, regulation of lowering rate is governed by a pre-set size of internal oil porting.
Usually rotary types are trouble free. Lever types maybe connected to an internal circular valve.

If possible, gain access to the release lever and valve head, check the lever is secured (grub screw or pinch bolt} to the valve stem. Small adjustments to lever and valve release positions can be made to operate correctly. Complete release valve may require removing and cleaning as oil return passageways are quite small.

Hydraulic release mechanisms are normally activated by mechanically unseating a steel ball from it’s seating. Maybe worth checking oil SAE spec currently used as incorrect heavy grades will effect lowering rates especially in cold conditions.

Caution with fingers and hands while adjusting hydraulic cantilever mechanisms.