Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Freddie

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by Freddie »

They are gone now, so maybe it is Planet X that is deluded (or sold out). No mention of them on Vittoria's site...
beardy

Post by beardy »

The Rubino Pro is available in 40-559 size and is a similar sort of tyre to the Hyper in weight, TPI and bead.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1728874/produ ... -385g.aspx

though not as cheap as PlanetX's offerings.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There isn't a 559 Hyper listed on Vittoria's site,there's a Randonneur Pro folder in 599x40 size which are available from PX.
IME PX make some gaffs in their descriptions and stock.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 May 2015, 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beardy wrote:The Rubino Pro is available in 40-559 size and is a similar sort of tyre to the Hyper in weight, TPI and bead.

Though still not expensive @ £20 IMHO.
W H Auden
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I really want to try them as I have a pair but I am not convinced re puncture protection and I cant afford to spend half an hour in the morning fixing a puncture!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well you could carry a sealant aerosol for cover that eventuality perhaps?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd say give'em a go samsbike.
To be honest, I was perhaps a little harsh with my own comments about flats and I'll happily admit to being a hot head.
As with reohn2, a lot of my miles are done on rough, thorn and glass strewn canal paths, park paths, bridle ways and the like and most of those miles are trouble free and smooth due to the tyres handling properties.
The only real limitations of the tyre ime is on greasy roads where under very heavy braking, the rear has lost traction. 3-4 times maybe since using them. I imagine a lot of tyres of the slick variety would suffer the same.
There's a few nicks and cuts in them now due to those surfaces I ride and the worst is 8mm long and 1.5mm at its widest. That one is the one that held the glass pane that caused all my aggravation in the first place. I keep an eye on it but it doesn't seem to be growing.
The other tyres I've used since owning this bike (Randonneur touring, Roadcruisers, Landcruisers and TourRides) all feel draggy as hell compared to these Hypers. They really are in a class of their own.
image.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
niggle

Post by niggle »

beardy wrote:The Rubino Pro is available in 40-559 size and is a similar sort of tyre to the Hyper in weight, TPI and bead.

I reviewed those here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=93813&hilit=+rubino Close to being a 26" equivalent to the Hypers IMO. I bought mine from Wiggle for £17.99, but apparently out of stock until end of the month.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Re punctures:

Vittoria Randonneur Hypers now on 6000 miles, one front puncture (sharp shard of hard plastic), rear just showing first signs of wear, I would expect another 2-3000 out of it.

Vittoria Rubino Pros 28mm one front thorn puncture over 8000 miles (rear wore out at 6000 miles without puncturing).

Previously Panaracer Pasela 32mm one front pinch puncture and one rear thorn puncture in about 4000 miles, sold with bike.

Specialized Mondial 23mm one rear sharp stone puncture at about 4000 miles, at which point looking worn out.

'X-Rated' with Kevlar puncture protection (made by Innova) 26x1.6" road/touring tread aprox 6000 miles no punctures, not worn out but discarded.

Schwalbe Land Cruisers 26x2.0" around 5000 miles, no punctures despite plenty of off road and contact with thorns etc.

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks 26x1.5" about 500 miles, no punctures.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I can not work out if you are very lucky, live in a benign area or are very skilled at observing and avoiding the nasties.

Probably all three.
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote:
sjs wrote:
sjs wrote:Had a puncture (small sharp flint) last Friday, after maybe 120 miles. So the jury's out on puncture resistance.

Do you think it would've got through any other tyre?

Probably not a Marathon Plus. Don't know about others. But the reason I changed the tyres from the original Marathons was because I was up for the trade between comfort and puncture resistance, so no complaints unless it's every 120 miles.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

sjs wrote:
Probably not a Marathon Plus. Don't know about others. But the reason I changed the tyres from the original Marathons was because I was up for the trade between comfort and puncture resistance, so no complaints unless it's every 120 miles.

I run marathon plus, so how do these feel in comparison?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:Probably not a Marathon Plus. Don't know about others. But the reason I changed the tyres from the original Marathons was because I was up for the trade between comfort and puncture resistance, so no complaints unless it's every 120 miles.

Not much gets through and M+ but the ride is diabolical :? ,OK if it's for a utility bike that's has to be reliable,otherwise I wouldn't entertain them TBH.

IME I don't puncture any more with Hypers than other recent tyres I've used,Marathons and Racers,Kojaks,Paselas,Gatorskins.The only tyre I've found to be almost bombproof are Ribmos,but ride suffers slightly though are as good as Marathons.
W H Auden
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

That's my problem. I commute a round trip of 36 miles a few times a week and I would rather not puncture, but I wonder if I am suffering unnecessarily.

A bit OT, but can I use a road pump to inflate the hypers even though I will be running lower pressures?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

samsbike wrote:A bit OT, but can I use a road pump to inflate the hypers even though I will be running lower pressures?

yes, but it'll take a bit longer, and you might accidentally overinflate them (eventually... :wink: )

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~