Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by reohn2 »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Sorry, I meant why isn't the 120TPI version also available in a wired version

No idea :?

....is there any disadvantage to using a folding tire.

Non,the bead is just lighter due to being made from Kevlar and not steel wire.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have found that folding and non-folding versions of the same tyre can differ in the fit quality; some tighter, some looser.

In terms of weight saving lb per £, folding tyres are usually pretty good value.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:FWIW I have found that folding and non-folding versions of the same tyre can differ in the fit quality; some tighter, some looser.

In terms of weight saving lb per £, folding tyres are usually pretty good value.

cheers

I've also found Vittoria Hyper to be one of the easiest fitting and concentric tyres I've ever had.
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Yes, and because the weight saving is on the outside of the wheel you gain double since you have to put in energy to accelerate both the linear and the rotating mass. So if a Hyper saves, perhaps, 150 gm., with a pair it is like having 600 gm taken off the frame. With Spa's tourer that is more than the difference between the steel and the titanium version.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

What pressures are people running?

Bike and me are around 100kg, I am about 83-86 depending on the time of day.

thanks
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The bike and I weigh roughly 185lbs and the weight as far as I can tell is unusually equally balanced front to rear. I find I can run mine at around 70 psi rear and 60 psi front in comfort. Those pressures in my landcruisers would rattle my eyeballs out but the hypers are incredibly supple even at those pressures.
It helps to reduce drag and pinch flats ime.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

samsbike wrote:What pressures are people running?

Bike and me are around 100kg, I am about 83-86 depending on the time of day.

thanks

All up weight me and bike,98/99kg 45psi front 65psi rear.I rode a flatish 60mile in the week in 4hours,mostly on tarmac(3miles on a fairly smooth dirt road).
I'm not fit ATM though and only riding 100 to 130miles PW.
I find if I put any more air them it just gets uncomfortable with no speed gain
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

88kg all up using 38psi front, 58psi rear. I also find more pressure just makes the ride harsh without performance gain. I find trails with broken rock surface surprisingly comortable with no pinch punctures- I think the depth of the tyre helps.
sjs

Post by sjs »

sjs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
sjs wrote:I recently bought the 700X40 to replace the Marathons my Tour de Fer came with (for £9.99 each, as recommended by Reohn). They do measure 38mm in situ. And roll really well, especially on rough surfaces compared with the much narrower tyres on my other bikes. But they do look really fat. Maybe should have gone for the 37s.

Why? :wink:

I'm just not used to tyres this wide. Scary. But they are fast, and comfortable.

Had a puncture (small sharp flint) last Friday, after maybe 120 miles. So the jury's out on puncture resistance.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:
sjs wrote:Had a puncture (small sharp flint) last Friday, after maybe 120 miles. So the jury's out on puncture resistance.

Do you think it would've got through any other tyre?
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've racked up another 1300 miles since my last flat-fest when I almost binned the things. Some of those miles were through the Little Hulton section of ncr55 which is often a glass strewn mine field. How I've gotten through that without a pf visit I've no idea but the tyres have held up nicely :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have two bikes on the go at present which I use for utility purposes. They have similar width tyres on them.

One is on schwalbe 'road plus' tyres and one is on Vittorias. The road plus tyres have seen about 18 months use, no punctures as yet. The vittorias have only seen a few weeks of use, no punctures yet.

So what can I add to this discussion, you might ask?

Well a few days ago I pulled a jaggy lump of metal out of a Road Plus. Somehow I saw it before it went all the way through the tyre. As it was, it went in over 4mm. Would it have punctured a vittoria? -yes without question IMHO.

So local conditions vary and punctures are random events with plenty of scatter in them anyway. But using Vittorias I don't expect to have as few punctures as with a heavier tyre, no.

However I do think it is a good trade (for many uses) if I have one or two punctures more a year, if the bike is faster and/or more comfortable, every day. And on the Vittorias, it is...

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:I have two bikes on the go at present which I use for utility purposes. They have similar width tyres on them.

One is on schwalbe 'road plus' tyres and one is on Vittorias. The road plus tyres have seen about 18 months use, no punctures as yet. The vittorias have only seen a few weeks of use, no punctures yet.

So what can I add to this discussion, you might ask?

Well a few days ago I pulled a jaggy lump of metal out of a Road Plus. Somehow I saw it before it went all the way through the tyre. As it was, it went in over 4mm. Would it have punctured a vittoria? -yes without question IMHO.

So local conditions vary and punctures are random events with plenty of scatter in them anyway. But using Vittorias I don't expect to have as few punctures as with a heavier tyre, no.

However I do think it is a good trade (for many uses) if I have one or two punctures more a year, if the bike is faster and/or more comfortable, every day. And on the Vittorias, it is...

cheers

I agree.
I rarely puncture more than two or at most three times per 7k miles year with 25%+ of that off road) and since fitting Hypers puncture rate hasn't increased.
So IME they aren't any worse than other tyres I've used in the past.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 May 2015, 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Am I imagining things or did Planet X have a 26" version of the Hyper available for some time?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

either that or you and I are similarly deluded; I was looking for it the other day.

cheers