Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by UpWrong »

Hmmm, well I ordered three 37-622 Voyager Hyper tyres from Planet-X late on Thurs night, along with 3 Vittoria extralite tubes, and they arrived this morning. The inner tubes weren't boxed so I almost cut through them with a pair of scissors when getting the parcel wrapper off.

The tread is thicker than I was anticipating, but pretty supple. The sidewalls don't feel very supple. They have a reflective band on them. The tyre label says "Speed Shielding", the box they came in says "Double Shielding". My kitchen scales say 420g for a tyre and 130g for a tube. I put some air in the tubes to check that I hadn't cut them and had great difficulty getting air through the valves on all 3. Hopefully it will be easier when installed on the rims.

I'm going to try them on my Open Sport rims though that is pushing the tyre to rim ratio at around 2.5 times i.e rim at 15mm and tyre at 37mm. Will try them at maybe 50 psi front and 60 psi rear.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:I am inclined to agree; treaded tyres work better when the roads are covered in a film of slimy crud.

cheers

I'd say that depends on so many things,the list is long.
The 'right' tread has a better chance of 'cutting' through some types of slime to get a grip on tarmac or solid substrate in a wheel spin situation a smooth pedalling action also helps especially in low gears.
But for other kinds of road holding,riding technique has more value IME.
Discounting pure mudplugging with knobbly tyres,changeable road conditions such as can be experienced on any road ride at this time of year where wet,leaves,moss,diesel,gravel,along with just wet or dry tarmac,there ain't too much difference in say a slick and a mildly treaded tyre such as Marathons,etc.
I find on bends keeping the bike more upright with the outside pedal down with my weight on it and just leaning the upper body,steering rather than leaning the bike around the curve(a bit like cornering on a trike but not as extreme)is a reliable technique I find.
Slimey/muddy straight stretches are more secure on big tyres at their lower pressures(when conditions demand I'll even drop 5psi out of tyres,more usually just the front)than narrow HP's.
TP's are critical in wet/slimey conditions IME
I haven't found Hypers any worse than other tyres in such situations.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

UpWrong wrote:...The tread is thicker than I was anticipating, but pretty supple. The sidewalls don't feel very supple....

I'm a bit surprised you think the tread is thicker than thought it would be,I thought the opposite when I first bought them and thought the sidewalls were quite supple compared to most other tyres I've used.

........ The tyre label says "Speed Shielding", the box they came in says "Double Shielding".......

Mine say TRIPLEEE Shielding on the sidewall and Double Shielding on the box :?
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I'm going to try them on my Open Sport rims though that is pushing the tyre to rim ratio at around 2.5 times i.e rim at 15mm and tyre at 37mm. Will try them at maybe 50 psi front and 60 psi rear.

I don't know if fitting a 35/37 mm tyre to a 15 mm width rim is a good idea at all. When ETRTO increased their width recommendations they allowed widths of up to 50 mm(!!) on a 17 mm rim and 62 mm(!!!!) on a 19 mm rim but for some reason the maximum for a 15 mm rim is 32 mm and for a 13mm rim it's 28 mm. There must surely be some reason ror the discrepancy.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions#rim

Mine were a shade over 400 gm - most people here find them a touch overweight.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I've changed my mind about putting them on the Open Sport rims. I've got some old but little worn 20mm Rigida rims that I shall use. The front is part of a complete wheel, the rear I'll need to build into a wheel so I've ordered a Claris 2400 freehub - the cheapest 130 OLN Shimano 9 speed compatible hub I could find.
Last edited by UpWrong on 25 Oct 2014, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

UpWrong wrote:.....The tyre label says "Speed Shielding", the box they came in says "Double Shielding". My kitchen scales say 420g for a tyre and 130g for a tube.....
That's what mine, bought about 1 month ago, say. Haven't weighed them or tried them yet - they're still in the box.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

They've got these back in stock at Planet X and still £14.99
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pete75 wrote:They've got these back in stock at Planet X and still £14.99
I paid £9.99. Is that why they are different from Reohn's?
I don't peddle bikes.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The Randonneur Pro folding tyre is £9-99. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDP/vittoria-randonneur-pro-folding-tyre

Maybe that's what you have?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

UpWrong wrote:The Randonneur Pro folding tyre is £9-99. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDP/vittoria-randonneur-pro-folding-tyre

Oh. :shock: That made me check. No, boxes and tyres say Voyager Hyper. :)
I don't peddle bikes.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

How come the nice high TPI version is only available as a folding tyre?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:
pete75 wrote:They've got these back in stock at Planet X and still £14.99
I paid £9.99. Is that why they are different from Reohn's?

I don'e think they're any different from mine.
*Convoluted explanation alert*
The TRIPLEEE sidewall ones are Randonneur Hypers and are fitted to the Vayas.
The box I looked at is from the last batch I bought(I have six pair :roll: ,see I told you I had a rubber fetish,and they can't touch you for it :shock: :? ).
I've now done a thorough stock check and can confirm that all boxes say Double Shield on them.
All Randonneur Hypers say TRIPLEEE on the sidewall.
All Voyager Hypers have SPEED SHIELD and a bent nail icon within a shield,on the sidewall.
Hope that clears everything up.
Phew!
I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room now for a while...

PS,I think it's all marketing anyway.

PPS,Damned good tyres though,eh! :D
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

UpWrong wrote:The Randonneur Pro folding tyre is £9-99. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDP/vittoria-randonneur-pro-folding-tyre

I bought one of these a while ago to see how they compared to the Hypers.
The carcass is the same 120TPI,but they have a thicker tread and consequently with that and the Double Shield(TRIPLEEE or Speed Shield on the Hypers) puncture protection the tread part of the tyre is stiffer than Randonneur/Voyager Hypers.
I reckon they'd be a good commuting/heavy duty,bombproof touring tyre about the same as a Ribmo IMO.

EDIT; I've rewritten this post for clarity.
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

There seems to be some confusion about the price. When I bought some in September they were £9.99 but they are now back to £14.99 - still a bargain.

I was buying some other stuff from PX today and found that the minimum order for free postage is up from £20 to £50. To make the order up to £50 I was unable to resist buying another 37 mm Hyper so now I have a spare! I must resist the temptation to buy even more :)

By the way the Randoneur Pro and E-Rando share the double shielding but both have the 120 carcase like the Hyper. In the Schwalbe tests conducted for Feisterbond, however, the E-Rando scores relatively badly for rolling resistance so the puncture protection is perhaps responsible. They didn't test the Randoneur Pro.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Thought I'd give a status update on the tyres. After about 20 months commuting on them (about 3200 ish miles) the back tyre is basically square and I have one small area where the red under material is showing through. Not actually sure if thats good wear or not!