Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niggle

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by niggle »

honesty wrote:Thought I'd give a status update on the tyres. After about 20 months commuting on them (about 3200 ish miles) the back tyre is basically square and I have one small area where the red under material is showing through. Not actually sure if thats good wear or not!

Mine have done about 4000 and no squaring off that I can see- still got most of the tread grooves showing even on the rear. I guess that roads are different and so are riders... Anyway I have had one front puncture recently- have you had any?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:
honesty wrote:Thought I'd give a status update on the tyres. After about 20 months commuting on them (about 3200 ish miles) the back tyre is basically square and I have one small area where the red under material is showing through. Not actually sure if thats good wear or not!

Mine have done about 4000 and no squaring off that I can see- still got most of the tread grooves showing even on the rear. I guess that roads are different and so are riders... Anyway I have had one front puncture recently- have you had any?

I've got almost 3k miles on one set with no appreciable wear.
I've recently had my second puncture,on a more recent pair with only 1,500miles on,a 15mm thorn just off centre in the front.
I found it whilst checking a couple of days after a ride,the tyre was still upto pressure but went down on removal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yeh. I'm probably pushing 100kgs dressed, plus towing a child trailer is going to put more pressure on the rear tyre. 2 rear punctures in the last month. One was dumb luck (I ran over a board pin!) the other was uncertain.
meic

Post by meic »

It gave me a scare and I have only done about 400 miles on it. I was going around a small traffic roundabout fairly quickly and the back end slipped away, only enough to stop my heart rather than bring me off.

It is the sort of event that has happened before but only like once in the life of every five tyres. I wouldnt have associated it with the tyre if people had not sown the seeds in my mind with this thread. I would have just thought it was a bit of diesel as the conditions were suitably damp with no good cleansing rain for a while.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:It gave me a scare and I have only done about 400 miles on it. I was going around a small traffic roundabout fairly quickly and the back end slipped away, only enough to stop my heart rather than bring me off.

It is the sort of event that has happened before but only like once in the life of every five tyres. I wouldnt have associated it with the tyre if people had not sown the seeds in my mind with this thread. I would have just thought it was a bit of diesel as the conditions were suitably damp with no good cleansing rain for a while.

How do you know it wasn't?

I've done around 4k miles on these tyres(two pair on two Salsa Vaya's).I've had one fall,a technical descent on an angled gravel track at slow speed,that I misjudged and which would've happen with any tyre other than an aggressive knobbly.
I've also descended at over 45mph on some pretty roughish tarmac with a couple of sweeping bends in total confidence,in fact far more confidence than any other tyre I've ridden TBH.
I've had two punctures,both thorns which would've happened to any tyre except perhaps an M+.
I've also picked out some tiny shards of glass on routine tyre checks that if left,would no doubt have got through eventually.Both pairs have picked up some small cuts as any tyre does.
Non of these things can in anyway be attributed to the tyres,but the conditions I ride them in,including tarmac from the sublime to the ridiculous in the usual UK tradition,gravel forest roads,bridleways or various qualities and occasional singletrack.
They're IMHO a damned good tyre,and at £10 or £15 depending on which week PlanetX are selling them,are an incredible bargain.
At the usual £25 to £30 from other sellers,they're still incredible value.
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

I did have a similar minor slippage incident at low mileage on a greasy wet roundabout but it has not happened again- might be worth scrubbing the tyres down with lighter fluid or meths to remove any possible remaining mould release compound.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I had one slip on mine when they were new on a rather fast descent of a steep Cornish hill, surface smooth and damp. Made me twitchy, but couldn't say it wouldn't happen on other tyres. Think I had one other slight slip on a very steep section on a loose surface, but anything would've gone on that. Since those, they've been great, even on leafy cycle (sorry, I mean mixed use...) paths. Not done huge mileage this year sadly though. I'd certainly get them again.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've got about 1000 miles on mine now. Had no problems with grip on gravely paths or tarmac of very poor condition after (and during) times of flood with remarkable amounts of junk washed into the road.
I've popped M+s on for now for a bit of tread as some of the sections I use have a thin film of mud on them most the time which no essentially slick will cope with. Can't wait to ditch the M+s once the weather picks up a bit.

I put a cut of about 10mm in the rear from presumably a Norfolk/ Suffolk flint, it did not puncture.

Have had three thorn punctures, but I'd get the odd one of those with M+s too, we have just been through the post harvest hawthorn trimming season here.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Found the Bronx 40C tyre [about £10] which runs at a nominal 28C width to be good. The one with the cats claw or talon pattern is surprisingly good. For puncture protection like the Halo Tourist, Schwalbe Road Cruiser, Schwalbe Energizer and the best Schwalbe Marathon Racer. Good on price, high on performance.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

- Post deleted -

Limited time offer now expired.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
irc

Post by irc »

reohn2 wrote:Deal:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

Couldn't resist. Two more ordered for the shelf. Won't need new tyres for a while now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

irc wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Deal:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

Couldn't resist. Two more ordered for the shelf. Won't need new tyres for a while now.

I have to be really hard on myself not to follow suit,but the cupboards are full of tyres :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Moodyman1

Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by Moodyman1 »

Got a nearly new set on one bike and a spare set waiting. I can only use these tyres on one of my four bikes due to clearances. so had to restrain myself. but that is a ridiculous price.
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

couldn't help myself. ordered another pair. it'll give me an excuse to ride more so they don't degrade.