Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bertbeerpot

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by bertbeerpot »

I got the last pair haha. Voyager hyper 37(??) is back on @14.99
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:I got some of these last time they did this sale, so you just have to wait for them to come around again.

I've just ordeered the last 40mm one from PX :) .........unless someone beat me to it :(

Can be a bit slippy if over pumped though...

That can be said for any tyre IME.
When reported on them here:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78618 PH reported a lack of wet weather adhesion on the 32mm version.
At the time of writing that review I'd hadn't done much mileage on them,but with 3k+miles on the 35mm version now,I find them as good as any other tyre I've used in the wet,and quite a bit better than some others I've used.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bertbeerpot wrote:I got the last pair haha. Voyager hyper 37(??) is back on @14.99

I can't see any :?

Ah ha! ,not on the general menu but are there when Vittoria is put in the side menu :? PX need sort their website out :evil:
Here they are:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Aug 2014, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

reohn2 wrote:

When reported on them here:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78618 PH reported a lack of wet weather adhesion on the 32mm version.
At the time of writing that review I'd hadn't done much mileage on them,but with 3k+miles on the 35mm version now,I find them as good as any other tyre I've used in the wet,and quite a bit better than some others I've used.

Yep, and it was in the damp that I slipped on them as well, so that could have been it rather than tyre pressure.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Yep, and it was in the damp that I slipped on them as well, so that could have been it rather than tyre pressure.

:? so are you saying it's the tyre or the road conditions or the tyre pressure?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
bertbeerpot wrote:I got the last pair haha. Voyager hyper 37(??) is back on @14.99

I can't see any :?

Ah ha! ,not on the general menu but are there when Vittoria is put in the side menu :? PX need sort their website out :evil:
Here they are:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/v ... lding-tyre

Just checked the general tyre menu again,and they're indeed back on there.
I can only assume they've just got a fresh stock :D
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

don't forget the release compound on new tyres, too....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
honesty

Post by honesty »

reohn2 wrote:

Ive had a few slips, only one that caused me to crash. This is more than I had with the set of Marathons I had previously. Most seem to have been in the damp, but the crash was on a dry road whilst going round a corner and the only thing I can think was loss of traction due to over inflating the tyres (though to be honest it wasn't above recommended inflation, just near the max)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Ive had a few slips, only one that caused me to crash. This is more than I had with the set of Marathons I had previously. Most seem to have been in the damp, but the crash was on a dry road whilst going round a corner and the only thing I can think was loss of traction due to over inflating the tyres (though to be honest it wasn't above recommended inflation, just near the max)

Therein I suspect lies the problem,the max rec TP for 35mm(37c) Hypers is 90psi :shock: .Unless you're carrying some extremely seriously heavy loads,anywhere near that kind of pressure will kill any grip there is as there'll be almost no tyre drop so no deformation of the tyre carcass.On wet/damp roads you're skating!
FWIW I ride 45psi front 70r for a total 98kg all up load(83kg me,13kg bike,2kg luggage) and a weight distrubution of 40%f 60%r and I've just recently been trying 65psi in the rear but thejury is still out.
We only have 85psi in tandem tyres of the same size with an all up load of 190+kg.
Check out this:- http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

Well I am close to 96kg myself, plus riding with my 3 year old in the rear bike seat and 2 panniers on the front with all her nursery stuff in gets the load up pretty high. I had them pumped to 75 psi at the time if I remember correctly. Probably still to high a pressure though, as I now only go to 60psi in both.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:Well I am close to 96kg myself, plus riding with my 3 year old in the rear bike seat and 2 panniers on the front with all her nursery stuff in gets the load up pretty high. I had them pumped to 75 psi at the time if I remember correctly. Probably still to high a pressure though, as I now only go to 60psi in both.

That sounds simiilar to a heavy touring load.
I'd say you're front may be a wee bit high,and rear wee bit low @ 60psi probably 55fr and 75r may be better but I'd experiment.
Usual disclaimers apply :wink:
W H Auden
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

You know, fifteen quid is a good price for this rare bird, even after slightly dear shipping to France. I’ve just ordered a pair for my girlfriend’s bike. I’m pretty curious to see how these things roll!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I just tried to order a couple of rare birds too but just ended up with a pair of tyres :D

Thanks for the prompt they were back in stock.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Just got the tyres I ordered. I ordered what PlanetX calls the 37 mm version, here.

To clear up some confusion earlier in the thread: the tyres I received have article code 111.3VH.20.37.111BX printed on the box. They are described as 37-622 and 700x35c on the sidewall. The Vittoria catalogue has the weight as 395 g. The actual weights of mine are 415.5 g and 417.4 g on a calibrated balance.

They look pretty good. I’ll report back when I fit them and ride them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OnYourRight wrote:Just got the tyres I ordered. I ordered what PlanetX calls the 37 mm version, here.

To clear up some confusion earlier in the thread: the tyres I received have article code 111.3VH.20.37.111BX printed on the box. They are described as 37-622 and 700x35c on the sidewall. The Vittoria catalogue has the weight as 395 g. The actual weights of mine are 415.5 g and 417.4 g on a calibrated balance.

They look pretty good. I’ll report back when I fit them and ride them.

Yep the weight is slightly optimistic mine weigh 404 to 410g on the box is 37-622,on the tyre 37-622 & 700x35c.
They measure 35x35 on a 19mm internal width rim.
I look forward to reading your report :) .
W H Auden