Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
samsbike

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by samsbike »

Brucey wrote:
samsbike wrote:A bit OT, but can I use a road pump to inflate the hypers even though I will be running lower pressures?

yes, but it'll take a bit longer, and you might accidentally overinflate them (eventually... :wink: )

cheers

Thanks
Can live with that prefer not to puncture really
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Just fitted the front, its amazing how supple the tire is in my hands.

However its huge even compared to a 32 M+, so should be interesting when I finally ride it later in the week.

Going to try 50 and 75, f, r its a big higher than John's and bike and me, weigh about 95Kg but I dont like squirm in the tires.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

samsbike wrote:
Going to try 50 and 75, f, r its a big higher than John's and bike and me, weigh about 95Kg but I dont like squirm in the tires.

You won't get any squirm just comfort :wink:
After riding at 50/75 for a week or so try them at 45/65,it'll = even more comfort and no speed loss,and no squirm :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Well first ride today and they do roll much quicker. I was very slightly faster but that could have been the wind.

However I think I have them pumped too hard, so will try John's settings.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have had 35mm Hypers on my touring bike since I built it in 2013, but now I have also just taken delivery of a pair of 32mm Hypers for my Kaffenback build. I bought them from Rose Bike along with a pile of other cheap stuff, current price £22.01 each: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vitt ... aid:643237

Bead to bead they measure 83mm, compared to the 35mm tyres which are 94m bead to bead. I estimate the 32mm tyres will be a genuine 32mm width on the 17mm rims I am fitting them to. I will update as things progress- first I have to build the wheels...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

niggle wrote:I have had 35mm Hypers on my touring bike since I built it in 2013, but now I have also just taken delivery of a pair of 32mm Hypers for my Kaffenback build. I bought them from Rose Bike along with a pile of other cheap stuff, current price £22.01 each: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vitt ... aid:643237

Bead to bead they measure 83mm, compared to the 35mm tyres which are 94m bead to bead. I estimate the 32mm tyres will be a genuine 32mm width on the 17mm rims I am fitting them to. I will update as things progress- first I have to build the wheels...

Thanks, was looking for sensibly-priced 32s to fit on my wife's new bike which I estimate won't take a 35.
niggle

Post by niggle »

and the answer is.. 32mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers actual measured width when mounted on a 17mm internal width rim is 33mm!
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

32mm Randonneur Pro (folding) measure 29mm on 17mm (internal) rims

Tyres are a minefield of WEIRD information :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I must confess I am not feeling the love.

A couple of times when starting off last week I thought I had a flat they felt so sluggish. Maybe I am expecting too much, so dont seem to roll as well as the 25 durano plus on my racier bike and I thought they would. So am I expecting too much?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

samsbike wrote:I must confess I am not feeling the love.

A couple of times when starting off last week I thought I had a flat they felt so sluggish. Maybe I am expecting too much, so dont seem to roll as well as the 25 durano plus on my racier bike and I thought they would. So am I expecting too much?

why not try doing a rolldown test? same bike, same time, different wheels. If there is a real difference you will see it.

you may simply associating vibrations from the skinnier tyres with 'faster tyres' ...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Brucey wrote:
samsbike wrote:I must confess I am not feeling the love.

why not try doing a rolldown test? same bike, same time, different wheels. If there is a real difference you will see it.

you may simply associating vibrations from the skinnier tyres with 'faster tyres' ...?

cheers

What it is is that the smaller tires seem to move more in terms of flex, while the hypers dont. If I dont pump the hypers hard then they feel sluggish (and I think I have a puncture)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you should use the tyre pressures here

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

as a guide.

Your 'thinking you have a puncture' is probably a result of riding around too long on horrible tyres that are pumped up too hard anyway, so that 'normal' to you is actually pretty horrible. It doesn't have to be like that.... give it a chance, do some real tests if you want to validate your ideas.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

I am not among those who like a softer tyre pressure. I ride my 37mm Hyper with 80/85psi in it at the rear.
All up weight will be 110Kg and upwards. It still makes any road shocks completely vanish even at that pressure and certainly doesnt squirm.

I let my 1.5" Paselas go down to the pressures that some recommend here and I didnt like it all, as you say feels just like a flat.
Yma o Hyd
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Brucey wrote:you should use the tyre pressures here

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

as a guide.

Your 'thinking you have a puncture' is probably a result of riding around too long on horrible tyres that are pumped up too hard anyway, so that 'normal' to you is actually pretty horrible. It doesn't have to be like that.... give it a chance, do some real tests if you want to validate your ideas.

cheers

I dont know what it is. This morning they felt sluggish, I will persevere.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

samsbike wrote: I dont know what it is. This morning they felt sluggish, I will persevere.

Do some rides record some times and compare the different bikes/tyres.
My own experience was that narrow HP tyre felt a lot fast but the times/speed/averages didn't lie,nor did the comfort difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden