Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Tyres,heads up

Post by reohn2 »

Photo of the slash and puncture site of the only puncture I've had on these tyres.
The puncture was at the outer edge furthest from the tread centre,and was caused by a big bramble or rose type thorn ie; flat hooklike(not like the roundish needlelike Haw/Blackthorn) which slashed from centre outward.This tyre has covered approx 2K miles on the rear,i'm still riding on it though I'vestuck a 40mm square piece of old inner tube on the inside of the tyre and a 10cm piece bead to bead,of old Eager overshoe material backing up the innertube :-

PS,I did try sticking the cut together with flexible superglue without success,I then scraped the cut clean and tried polyurethane boat glue,neither attempt lastest more than one ride :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OnYourRight wrote:I’m not suggesting the Marathon Plus rolls easily, just more easily than might be expected from its enormous heft, thickness, and toughness. It’s definitely not a comfy tyre, though.

Agreed

My own view is that the occasional puncture is well worth putting up with in exchange for comfort and speed.

Without doubt,though some expect carlike puncture resistance and comfort from a cycle tyre,and some don't expect to mend a puntcure,or know how :shock:

But I ride for pleasure mostly; I don’t commute to train stations.

Nor me,M+ are almost puncture proof,and if riding an IGH they become an attractive tyre for short commutes.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I had my oldest pair of Hypers(the one in the photo up thread) off the rims today for a periodic check(found four tiny glass shards) and decided to measure tread wear,wear on the rear(centre of tread) measured 2.95mm against a new one @ 3.25mm I'd say both measurements are + or - 0.1mm,measured with a digital micrometer.Not bad for 2k miles IMO.
The front showed no signs of wear.
There was a few small cuts in both tyres and obviously the one in the photo,but nothing major.
W H Auden
james01

Post by james01 »

Brucey wrote:Anecdotally, I have often run tyres (as a pair) until the tread is worn very thin. When fitting similar new ones, I have often felt that the bike was immediately significantly slower; again I suspect that the tread thickness has a lot to do with it.

cheers

I've noticed this too. Also, I wonder if the softening through age of the sidewall in an older tyre improves suppleness and therefore improves rolling resistance.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I am another big fan of the Hypers, as have posted on other threads on the forum, however when I bought a new back tyre for my sig other's hybrid I just got a dirt cheap (£8) Vittoria Adventure 2 from Planet X http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTADV2/v ... wired-tyre so feel a bit 'dirt cheap' myself seeing the lovely Hypers now at £15 each... I try to reassure myself she would not notice the difference...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:I am another big fan of the Hypers, as have posted on other threads on the forum, however when I bought a new back tyre for my sig other's hybrid I just got a dirt cheap (£8) Vittoria Adventure 2 from Planet X http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTADV2/v ... wired-tyre so feel a bit 'dirt cheap' myself seeing the lovely Hypers now at £15 each... I try to reassure myself she would not notice the difference...

Don't tell her,or spend £15 and make her life heaven :D
W H Auden
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

reohn2 wrote:BTW I'd really like to hear what others think of these tyres(Hypers),are you as impressed as I am?
What do you think of them in the wet?
What TP's are you running them at?
Etc,etc.....

Due in part to the vagaries of the Planetx stock control 'system', I have a Voyager Hyper 37-622 (700x35c) on the front and a Randonneur Hyper 40-622 (700x38c) on the rear of my hybrid. The 37-622 measures 37mm wide and the 40-622 measures 39mm wide (measured using a vernier gauge).
I run the front at 40psi and the rear at 50psi for an all up weight of 86kg.

They are certainly a lot more comfortable than the cheap 32c tyres that the bike came with. However I can't make any comparison with narrower tyres, I have been riding a mtn bike until recently and the last road bike I had was decades ago, I think it had 27x1 1/4" tyres!
beardy

Post by beardy »

In true Planet X tradition hey have now dropped the price for one incarnation to £9.99 while leaving the other at £15.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

So you Hyper persons, as I'm still confused by the sizing, if I buy two of these cheapo £9.99 ones advertised as 37 mm...
a) What will they measure?
b) WIll they be happy on my Alesa Endeavour rims which measure 17 mm internally?

Thanks
niggle

Post by niggle »

NetworkMan wrote:So you Hyper persons, as I'm still confused by the sizing, if I buy two of these cheapo £9.99 ones advertised as 37 mm...
b) WIll they be happy on my Alesa Endeavour rims which measure 17 mm internally?

Thanks

They will probably be marked both 37-622 and 700x35c, and actually measure 35mm on a 19mm internal width rim- that is what I got when I ordered a pair of '37mm' Vittoria Randonneur Hypers. A 17mm rim is within the acceptable range recommended on this page for a 35mm tyre, but not "ideal": http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... tyre-sizes:

The ideal relationship between tyre and rim section is about 1.8 to 1, but any tyre from 1.4 to 2.2 times should fit – always provided that the bead diameters correspond.

35/17 is about 2.06

I am using 19mm rims and the tyres handle beautifully even loaded up and zooming down hill on twisty country lanes (with appropriate pressure). I suspect that the difference compared to a 17mm rim will be negligible unless you are riding e.g. high speed downhills with hard cornering at speed.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If you're reading this reohn2, you once had a thread about the Voyager Hypers and said that these were the new name for the Randonneurs.
Is that still the case I wonder? I ask because planetx has the Randonneur Hypers for £5 more each and wondered why.
The bike came supplied with the randonneur tour 32's and these were brilliant (but near impossible to fit, veeeeery tight indeed!) and were only changed to Landcruisers when I discovered a big horrible tear in the rear tyre.
I barely have the energy to move today and this is becoming an almost daily problem for me so wanted something a little lighter and easier rolling so just bought 2 Voyager Hyper 37's coz I'm a cheapskate :D in the hope that days in the saddle will be easier. Optimistic? Meeeee?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NetworkMan wrote:So you Hyper persons, as I'm still confused by the sizing, if I buy two of these cheapo £9.99 ones advertised as 37 mm...

Thanks

I'm with Niggle,I'm running a pair of 700cx37's on DRC STouring rims(17mm internal),no worries :)

Vantage
The Voyager Hypers replaced,Randonneur Hypers according to Vittoria's website,I suspect the Randonneurs PlanetX have are old stock.
You won't be disappointed with them,they roll sooo sweet,and are sooo comfy :)

I mentioned elsewhere that I'd been experimenting dropping 5psi out of the rear tyre down to 65psi (I'm happy with 45 in the front),I'm finding it just as quick but more comfortable especially on gravel/dirt roads and tracks.
BTW I couldn't resist at a tenner so I ordered a pair... to go with the other three pairs I have in storage :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Sep 2014, 7:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have just ordered 3: at £9.99 each they are too good to miss.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I'm with Niggle,I'm running a pair of 700cx37's on DRC STouring rims(17mm internal),no worries :)

Thanks guys I've just ordered a couple to give them a go. Guards may be a tad narrow but I can try them without. Thought I'd try a couple of their cheap tubes too since mine are all a bit narrow.
Some stuff from Schwalbe about this compatability issue. It looks as if ETRTO are now saying that it's fine to fit wide tyres on 17 and 19 mm rims. They have a table showing that it's OK for tyres up to 45 mm on 17C rims. 19C rims are OK for up to 60 mm!!! Not so for narrower rims - only up to 25 mm on 13C and 32 mm on 15C - which is more like the factor of two and a bit we knew about.

And it was a rolldown hill test,lets not forget that the inertia in a heavier tyre will continue further than a lighter tyre.

I wondered about this when doing my own test. It's a little complicated and I'm rusty on this stuff but here goes....

The bike has an static mass and a rotating mass (or rather two of them) providing a flywheel effect. Gallileo showed heavy objects and light objects fall at the same rate and they do down an inclined plane too but the flywheel effect makes a difference. A bike with heavy flywheel (much mass in the rim/tyre) will have energy stored in the roating mass and this will indeed be delivered as the bike slows but the energy has to be stored in the first place and so the bike with heavy wheels will probably reach a lower peak velocity as it rolls down the slope but otherwise behave the same. If the peak velocities are high then the light flywheel bike will suffer more from losses due to aerodynamic effects but if the velocities are low then I suspect that the flywheel effect can be ignored in such a test since there is zero energy stored in the flywheel at the start of the test and zero at the end.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. Of course I may be quite wrong!