Chain question.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
student

Chain question.

Post by student »

It seems that few of us in the town will have a collective order from bike24, therefore I'd intend to get some chainz for 8spd drivetrain.

choices:
sram 850 and 870
connexx wippermann 804 or 808

from the four, the wippermann is the most expensive

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2

and the cheapest is the 850 from sram:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;s ... oduct=7733

which should I pick? I'd needthe chain to last long :) shifting performance is not that important as longevity. Post would be free as well.

regards and thanks for any input.

cheers.
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
gaz

Re: Chain question.

Post by gaz »

My opinion of general forum chatter is that the Wippermann quick link is easier to open by hand than the SRAM version.

I've been riding a Wippermann 708 for the last 12 months and have been largely unimpressed. I was riding a SRAM PC870 for around 10 months prior to that and was definitely unimpressed, although I'm going to try again shortly in the hope that I got one from a bad batch.

My chain maintenance regime is best described as fit and forget with the occasional 3-in-1 oily rag. Running mid 90's five speed equipment probably doesn't help either.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know any of those chains intimately.

I would suggest that you buy one mid-priced. I do wonder - and it has often been said - that the more expensive chains aren't any better, just look nicer.

Lubrication of any sort will do so long as the chain is kept clean.
This is easier said than done! :lol:

There is a school of thought that you should buy the cheapest chain and cassette you can find and not worry about cleanliness, then ride the bike until it complains, then renew the chain and cassette again.

I take the opposite view. Buy decent stuff and look after it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Barstaff

Post by Barstaff »

Mick - please check your PMs, it's urgent!!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
Got 'em.

I should get an email notification, but not had one.

I'll get onto it.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using Sram 971 9sp chains on 8 and 9sp Shimano drivetrains for donkeys without issue they're £10 from either Planet X or CRC
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I like KMC chains for my 8sp set up, they last well and even hold up to a bit.. cough.. ok, a LOT of negligence regards keeping clean.

I rode mine all through winter with only the odd squirt and wipe, looks quite rusty and caked in crud but it still measures ok and moves freely enough.
student

Post by student »

:) Thanks everyone for the input. Most of the local guys recommended the SRAM solutions, therefore, I'll pro'lly go with PC-870.

Though PX and CRC have great offers, I have to consider the postage, which will be free from bike24, whereas the former two sites would charge something (though not much! )
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

student wrote::) Thanks everyone for the input. Most of the local guys recommended the SRAM solutions, therefore, I'll pro'lly go with PC-870.

Though PX and CRC have great offers, I have to consider the postage, which will be free from bike24, whereas the former two sites would charge something (though not much! )

I'd buy the Sram 971(it's a better chain IME) and I'd buy two.
From PlanetX two chains would = free postage, CRC offer free postage on everything.
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

But not to Hungary they won't.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CREPELLO wrote:But not to Hungary they won't.

Ah! didn't see that,well spotted :oops:
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

reohn2 wrote:I've been using Sram 971 9sp chains on 8 and 9sp Shimano drivetrains for donkeys without issue they're £10 from either Planet X or CRC

Same here. Check them often and replace when 0.75% wear. False economy trying to extend the life of chains as a worn chain will kill your cassette and chainrings too.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
student

Post by student »

Tjhe original reason for looking for a new chain was that the current one was slipping on the used cassette under load, though the cogs on the cassette looked okay by gross examination. I thought that I'd need a new cassette, so I ordered one in my LBS, and assumed that I'd start the new cassette with a new chain. End of story.

Though the cassette looked okay, the chain was new (HG50 shimano) and was slipping in some gears. Today, as a last attempt,I removed the quick link from my chain.

Previously the chain was slipping in some cogs under load. Now, it runs perfectly. Have not experienced any slipping since the removal of the quick link.

Honestly, the link was a bit "weird" compared to the other parts of the chain. Unfortunately I was unable to cancel the order on the 8speed new cassette in the lbs, as the seller was waving with the box of the cassette when I entered the door :D :D

Now, I have a Miche 8M (campag8) cassette with 12-23 ratio, in boy, complete with lockring. Cost me 21.5 bucks approx.:\ But it can be useful later when my old record8spd cassette finally gives out. :) (I don't have pre-exa drive freehub, so flipping the cogs is not an option).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Shimano HG :-( I've never had a chain wear out so quickly. Back to KMC Z-series on all bikes here now, although I've heard good things about SRAM.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.