111mm vs 110mm bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vantage

111mm vs 110mm bottom bracket

Post by Vantage »

I've never had this problem before and any previous post I've dug up relates more to shell length but, the spindle in my currently knackered bottom bracket is 111mm and the closest I can find to that is either 113mm or 110mm. There's a fair bit of clearance between the granny ring and frame and so I'm wondering if 1mm is likely to cause problems with chain line and so on if I get the 110mm BB.
Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated folks. Thanks in advance.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Barstaff

Re: 111mm vs 110mm bottom bracket

Post by Barstaff »

110 would likely be perfect. And you'd save 25gr!
Barstaff

Post by Barstaff »

I'd recommend from the same manufacturer as the one you've alreadygot though.
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

if there is enough clearance curently between the inner ring and the frame to come in slightly and you know it can all be fitted together then hopefully otherwise it will be a little adjustment to the front derailleur. I just changed my bottom bracket and chainset from square taper to octalink and even though on sheldon brown it states both setups have the same chainline, my chainset still was nearer the frame than before. i think it probably was the equivalent movement of 3 mm inwards so bigger than what you are dealing with. all i had to do was make a minor adjustment to the Low screw on the front mech to bring the mech out a little.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Barstaff wrote:I'd recommend from the same manufacturer as the one you've alreadygot though.

I've no idea what make it is as I can't get it out of the frame till I get a new BB tool. The current one has only done just over 6000 fairly easy miles (I'm not a powerful cyclist) and since day one the bearings have felt "gritty". Not something that inspires confidence.
I think Dawes built my bike in a sandpit as I've yet to find a smooth running bearing on it anywhere :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Isn't 111mm axle length for ISO rather than JIS cranks?
Oh, scrub that, just seen the bit about ~Dawes.....it wasn't built in a sandpit, it was built wherever its cheapest, with the cheapest (hidden) parts.....~
Its almost certainly JIS, if you post the crankset model number, somebody will be able to find the manufacturers specs.
Shimano UN54 etc generally do what it says on the tin
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Definitely 111mm on the digital vernier thingymibob but as to whether ISO or JIS I've no idea. Found a small reservoir in there too which probably shortened its miserable life. Going Geoff Smiths when my better half gets here. Been once this morning for the tool and it's too far for my little legs to walk.
Attachments
image.jpg
Bill

531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ah yes, Chin Huar....they actually list 111mm, if you google it.
Go with a 110mm Shimano UN 5xxx however many they are up to now.
Plenty of copper grease on the threads, particularly if its wet in there!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Stuck a UN-55 in there. No problems whatsoever :)
Thanks for the help chaps :)
Bill