Campagnolo 36 spoke 8 speed hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
corsaextra

Campagnolo 36 spoke 8 speed hub

Post by corsaextra »

Hi. This may help someone with worn hub issue. Planet X have Miche Team hubs in stock, only 9 left as I write. £29.99. I took a gamble and ordered one. Campag 8 speed cassette fits but locknut doesnt. But...a Shimano one does! Quality looks Ok but not as good as Campag. Cannot say what durability is like as not built up yet. Anyone know why this would not be a good idea?
Roll on Summer
Valbrona

Re: Campagnolo 36 spoke 8 speed hub

Post by Valbrona »

corsaextra wrote: Anyone know why this would not be a good idea?

What if one of your shifters break? And I've got some videos in Betamax format if you want them as well.
I should coco.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:
corsaextra wrote: Anyone know why this would not be a good idea?

What if one of your shifters break? And I've got some videos in Betamax format if you want them as well.

Then he can use friction levers. Why have you kept your betamax videos?
Miche stuff usually decent and hub should last.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote: Why have you kept your betamax videos?
We've kept ours because we still have a Betamax VCR.
Sony C7
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sony+c ... B760%3B404
Mick F. Cornwall
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Betamax ... sometimes it is better and more cost effective to embrace change and to adopt new products, like for example 10/11 speed shifting systems on bicycles.
I should coco.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:Betamax ... sometimes it is better and more cost effective to embrace change and to adopt new products, like for example 10/11 speed shifting systems on bicycles.

Maybe so but that doesn't explain why you've kept the Betamax videos you're offering to give the OP.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:Betamax ... sometimes it is better and more cost effective to embrace change and to adopt new products, like for example 10/11 speed shifting systems on bicycles.

Maybe so but that doesn't explain why you've kept the Betamax videos you're offering to give the OP.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've kept mine because I'm a hoarder, not because it's used ............. it hasn't been used since the early 1990s.
It's in its original box complete with the instruction booklet and leads and has been in the loft since we stopped using it.
Mick F. Cornwall
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Changing to 10/11 speed is not necessarily an improvement.

IMO it's just a way for manufacturers to sell more equipment, by making and selling components that are not only more expensive to buy but much less durable and which wear out faster.

I think 7/8 speed was a good compromise between durability, sufficient gear range, ease of set-up and decent chainline.

Just because something is newer does not automatically make it better...
corsaextra

Post by corsaextra »

Hi. Back to originlal post. All built up and running well with Open Pro rim. I run a 20 year old Eddy Merckx which I am very happy with, I bought it for £200 about 8 years ago off ebay and it was all campagnolo 8 speed. I have modified it slightly over the years, compact chain set and an ahead adaptor to raise the bars, both concessions to my advancing years! NOS Campag hubs do come up on ebay usually about £150. I thought I would try the Miche hub. I would rebuild the existing Campag hub but unable to get new cups. By the way, I did have a problem with the shifters and replaced the worn "G" springs and they shift like new again. I could fit a new 10/11 speed set up but would be pointless, might as well get a complete new bike. I like the old Merckx, and its slowly becoming retro-cool rather than a crappy old steel bike :-)
student

Post by student »

Lace some decent quality shimano or shimano freehub body hub. Buy an 8 speed BBB or Sunrace cassette. Both of those are spaced 5mm, and tried them on my 8spd campag drivetrain. Noiseless and smooth running with rapid shifting. No skipping, greater choice of cassette ratios, cheaper cassettes, more readily available replacement parts for the hubs.

I'd give it a go.

We have measured several cassettes for spacer-cog thickness, and found that all seven and eight speed sunrace-bbb cassettes use the same 5mm spacing which is compatible with campy 8spd drivetrains :)
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

student wrote: compatible with campy :)

What is this 'campy' you refer to? :? Is it perchance some weird Americanism for the god of cycle parts, the deity Campag, may his name always be honoured :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
student

Post by student »

My mistake. It's Campag or Campagnolo, campy is actually for campylobacter :D

But trust me, those cassettes are spaced for 5mm, can haz them in 12-25, 12-23, 11-28 or other ratios, well made, shift well, and cheap :D Though Sunrace Freewheels are shitty, pack in very often.
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:..........What if one of your shifters break? .......Then he can use friction levers. ........

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D attaboy Pete - my sentiments entirely - never any need for anything else.