Converting old Carradice bar bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ianhill64

Converting old Carradice bar bag

Post by ianhill64 »

I have a lovely old Carradice 'super C' bar bag, which clicked onto a wire frame which hooked over the quill stem.

Is it possible to convert the bag to fit onto a modern click-fix bracket? Possibly by drilling a new QR backplate onto the bag? Where can I buy such a bit of kit?

Thanks for any help!

Ian
Swallow

Re: Converting old Carradice bar bag

Post by Swallow »

Edinburgh Cycles have this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... lebar-bags Not sure which handlebar bracket you need but they should be able to tell you but I think they use Rixen and Kaul fittings
'Kernow bys Vyken'
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi. I have a Karrimor bar bag that uses a wire frame that mounts on to the standard Klick fix handlebar mount . I have seem them available on a web site but cannot remember which one. Nomisp
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

ianhill64 wrote:Is it possible to convert the bag to fit onto a modern click-fix bracket? Possibly by drilling a new QR backplate onto the bag? Where can I buy such a bit of kit?

Adapter plate to bolt the bag to (requires you to make holes in the bag)
Handlebar fitting - other versions available, eg lockable, or longer to leave more room for hands or STI cables.

The Altura plate at EBC doesn't seem to include the internal part of the fitting, as it's intended as a spare.
ianhill64

Post by ianhill64 »

Thanks to all who replied. The one on Chain Reaction spotted by Andrew S is ideal - £5.99 and I get a newly usable bar bag!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I have two of the original Carradice Super C barbags for different bikes. Still with their loop style brackets. Though I have had extra bits welded in to make them slightly bigger to fit around modern stems. I still think that this arrangement is way better than modern bits of plastic that can move around the bars when the bag is weighted.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

If you combine one of these http://www.bike24.com/p216618.html with ahttp://www.bike24.com/p216592.html mount I think you are sorted. Risen Kaul barn bag mounts don't droop as they have a support wire
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
MJH

Post by MJH »

I found this thread when searching for the wire loop bracket and bag that Carradice used to do. Does anyone know if something like that is still produced ? I used to have one, but the bag died from old age and I must have thrown the frame out (doh !). I'd like to attach a front bag occasionally, but not have any fixings on the bike when the bag is not in use and the old Carradice stuff fitted the bill perfectly. Is there anything like that out there ?

Cheers,
Martin.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Ended up here the same way as MJH did; I've got a lovely old Carradice bar bag that I'd like to find a frame for so that I can press it back into service!

Any suggestions?
Thanks [emoji3]
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

It would be very straightforward for a metal workshop to make one from wire, if you have the right pattern.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, if I can find/beg/borrow one to copy then we're in business!

Or maybe I could get some wire and wing it...
drossall

Post by drossall »

Previous thread here in which I boast that I still have mine :P
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Thank you!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Would you believe that I've found a wire rack thingy already?! [emoji2] [emoji106]

So if anyone needs dimensions off it, or would be prepared to duplicate it (I've got two bags...), they'd be very welcome.
drossall

Post by drossall »

The rack I have drops on and off the bike quite easily. Therefore, even if I had two bags, I'd only need one rack because I can only ride one bike at a time :D