bike locks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: bike locks

Post by Mick F »

Anchors have cables, not chains.

Terminology really, though the "cable" is obviously made of chain of course. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Raph

Post by Raph »

What you mean like boats have sheets not ropes?

Nothing like calling a spade a spade.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
Yep.

Drove me mad in the RN.
Deckheads are ceilings, bulkheads are walls, and ladders are stairs, and the brow is the gangway. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Mick F wrote:Anchors have cables, not chains.

Terminology really, though the "cable" is obviously made of chain of course. :wink:

Unless is cable-laid hawser :lol:
On large vessels I agree, the anchor cable is likely mostly chain (although some will use wire in part). Smaller vessels use a mixture of rope and chain. 'Anchor chain' is a subset of 'anchor cable material', as 'sheet' is a subset of 'ropes on board the vessel'. :D
Raph

Post by Raph »

Well I've been using the monster squire chain (sorry cable - made of chain :wink: ) for a while now and I can safely say I've been getting fitter. My back tyre has lost quite a bit of rubber - it's noticeably flatter when I'm carrying the chain, and my "spare tyre" has lost a few pounds too in the effort of carrying the extra weight up hills. That plus the fahgeddaboudit, and I think the 40lb rule holds true!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

But if you lose the weight from "your spare tyre" then it might weigh nothing...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Raph wrote:What you mean like boats have sheets not ropes?

IIRC in the RN they have quite a few 'boats' but none of them are fitted with 'sheets', not in the nautical sense anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Submarines are referred to as "boats", but the strict definition of "boat" is any floating vessel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat
Wiki explains it quite well.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Submarines float - until they fill their ballast tanks with water.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

......... but they don't sink.
Hopefully.

I wonder what the definition of floating is?
Submarines go under water, but they trim for neutral buoyancy and go up and down by the use of hydroplanes ......... so maybe they fly?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:......... but they don't sink.
Hopefully.

I wonder what the definition of floating is?
Submarines go under water, but they trim for neutral buoyancy and go up and down by the use of hydroplanes ......... so maybe they fly?

I think they fly - like penguins...

They do sometimes sink, but that's seriously undesirable!
Raph

Post by Raph »

Fascinating!

Back to locks... daisydaisy if you're still around and haven't yet sorted out your lock issues...

I got an Abus Granit 53 for the other half, as her ancient Trelok somehow gave the impression of being not quite up to it. The Abus is very light for what it is (sold secure gold - for what that's worth) - just over 1kg [edit:] just weighed it, 1.3kg.

Also, after a few weeks of using the monster Squire 5kg 14mm chain myself, and frequently getting loaded up with kiddie PE kits and extra bits and bobs on top... I've wimped out and got a Kryptonite M18, the bigger version of the Fahgedaboudit mini that I've already got. Might be using both, they'll still be lighter than the Squire chain, which doesn't quite reach round both wheels.

I think I'll get a second one for my kid's bike at school - he struggles getting the Onguard chain round the frame and front wheel, and fumbles getting the shackle onto the link... so a D-lock is a lot easier.

The Kryptonite Fahgedaboudit M18 is approx 10cm x 26cm, 2.65kg, cost £70 though I was lucky, it's more like £75 minimum.

The Fahgedaboudit mini is a rather tiny 8cm x 15cm, a snig under 2kg, I think it's around £70.

The Abus 53 is 23cm x a bit under 11cm, though I think they also do a 30cm long version, cost £50ish.
daisydaisy

Post by daisydaisy »

hi, thanks for all the help, we ended up buying two large gold rated master street fortum d locks, and an albus bordo and then several long cables for all the quick release wheels. we lock all the frames to something fixed like a bike hoop and then the cables around all the wheels. it has worked well so far. the albus fits onto a bottle cage mount on my triplet which is great the d locks are heavy but with a 30kg triplet and 30kg plus of children on the back whats a few extra kg? lol. better than losing the bikes.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

Perhaps this could be 'the one': http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177391

I haven't read enough about it yet, but it seems to have all the necessary functions. The main challenge would be concealing it while still giving it a fighting chance of a GPS signal (although the fact it could work on cell location alone makes up for this somewhat). For instance, sealed up and glued inside a rear mudguard, with an innocuous cable leading to a charging point elsewhere on the frame, could allow it to be a semi-permanent installation.
Polite

bike locks

Post by Polite »

RickH wrote:With the likelihood of potentially needing to leave my bike at a couple of places of unknown/dubious provenance some distance away, I recently decided to go for an Abus Bordo Granit X Plus (snappy name eh? :lol: Bought it from Tredz as they seemed to be one of the cheapest from a Google search & they popped up a £5 off first purchase code while I was looking at their site :D ).

It is Sold Secure Gold rated and has Abus's top level 15 security rating. It is quite substantial (claimed weight 1580g) but folds to about the size of a water bottle (& can be fitted instead of a bottle cage, or simply strapped on, too).
IMG_3684_e (Small).jpg

Being made of 6 "links" it is more versatile than a D lock in what it will go round, although you are still slightly limited by the overall length.
IMG_3685_e (Small).jpg
IMG_3686_e (Small).jpg

The only significant critisism I have seen was that, when unsuccessfully trying to break it, the lock casing sustained damage that meant the lock mechanism could fall out when subsequently unlocked with the key. (The review where that happened, on Road.cc, is dated 2010 & the lock has had at least cosmetic changes since then.)

Rick.

Rick, I am thinking of getting one of these and storing it in a saddle bag I have attached to the saddle. Do you think it would be too heavy to store in there? Also, how long have you had yours and how has it performed? Thanks.