bike locks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Redvee

Re: bike locks

Post by Redvee »

LollyKat wrote:
Raph wrote:A chain is a chain - it isn't covered.

Haven't you ever seen the Abus chains?

There are other makes that do the same. You can even buy the Abus covers separately - they protect your paintwork.

I've got an Abus chain, City X 110cm and the cover can be cut but will leave traces of being cut, it will fray on the edges of the cut. It is too heavy to ride with so I leave it at work all the time, sort of denotes the rack where I leave it as being for me.
Raph

Post by Raph »

Just bought a Squire SS50CS with 1.2 metres of 14mm chain. Saw it in Halfords for £50 so I didn't ask any questions, just went and bought it. It's gonna get me really fit. I was thinking of getting a 16mm chain but on second thoughts this is bone-crushingly heavy enough, especially as I usually carry other locks as well.

The lock seems a bit namby pamby for the chain, but it's a closed shackle and anyway at that price I wasn't going to quibble.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Raph wrote:Just bought a Squire SS50CS with 1.2 metres of 14mm chain. Saw it in Halfords for £50 so I didn't ask any questions, just went and bought it. It's gonna get me really fit. I was thinking of getting a 16mm chain but on second thoughts this is bone-crushingly heavy enough, especially as I usually carry other locks as well.

The lock seems a bit namby pamby for the chain, but it's a closed shackle and anyway at that price I wasn't going to quibble.

I think the trouble with chains is that they usuallly allow enough space for bolt cutters to get to work. especially if the chain dangle near the ground, where the bolt cutter can then use the ground as a base?
honesty

Post by honesty »

Quite an interesting (And rather surprising) video to watch: http://www.bicycling.com/video/unlocked-video#/video/all/created/d/1
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes quite shocking when u see the tools they use. makes u wonder why we bother to lock up the bikes. And if they cant steal your bike that may not be the end of the story. Mine was locked up wheels and all so the "thieves" smashed up the frame out of spite. 531 steel Horizon Tour of 2000 vintage.
Raph

Post by Raph »

I wouldn't get too downhearted - as the guy says, your lock only has to be tougher the one on the next bike. ...I'd add: and/or your bike less desirable. That's why I don't maintain nice paintjobs, as long as the thing isn't actually rusting.

mercalia wrote:I think the trouble with chains is that they usuallly allow enough space for bolt cutters to get to work. especially if the chain dangle near the ground, where the bolt cutter can then use the ground as a base?
Compared to a U lock (or "D" lock?) it's harder to get a chain link to stay put under a grinder, and if it's big enough it's hard to get croppers onto it. The good thing about a solid chain is having to make two cuts to free it, as you can't just bend or prise it open after just one cut. Also, you're restricting the risk of theft to well equipped professional thieves - obviously that's still significant but it's still worth the hassle. "takes forever to get through" and "my hand's getting hot" - that was good to hear in the video, and that was with a mains grinder on a Kryptonite 18mm U lock.

Glad to see the hinged bar type lock in action - was that the 3-second one? :? I was almost considering getting one till I saw that!

BTW when locking to a railing I always try to include as many bars or rungs of the railing as possible, so if they go for cutting that instead (and remove the lock from the bike elsewhere later), there's more damage to do before getting your bike away. Nobody gives a [hoot] about your bike but passers-by are more community-spirited about public property being damaged.

It would probably come under the heading of obsessive but I think after the comments on this thread I'd go to using the chain and the Kryptonite. The guy said "U" stands for useless but the 18mm Kryptonite was the one he was taking a bit of time to get through. And there weren't any demos of 14mm or 16mm chain being cut through in a few seconds, which is mildly encouraging.
Last edited by Raph on 4 Apr 2014, 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

I can't promise it will be the last word in bike security, but if you're on a budget you could do a lot worse than googling Clas Ohlson Asaklitt shackle lock. 16mm U-lock for under £20.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

A video of various chains being cropped;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Any one know where you can get an anchor chain? wont be able to get their bolt cutters around that.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:Quite an interesting (And rather surprising) video to watch: http://www.bicycling.com/video/unlocked-video#/video/all/created/d/1

Interesting vid. Thanks.

I think I've seen the thing at 1:30 on a guy's bike on a ride I was on. He'd paid a hell of a lot for it. I was dubious when I saw it - looked too clever/trendy by half.

Similarly I wasn't at all surprised to see the one at 1:45 fail.

After that vid I might start looking for a chain and lock combo - will watch this thread for particular recommendations.

Though I had the impression that the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini (was that what it was?) did well.

In view of his comments on hipsters/fashion victims I'd have loved to have seen him take a knife to some of Knog's efforts.

<edited for typo>
Last edited by Sweep on 6 Apr 2014, 6:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote:Any one know where you can get an anchor chain? wont be able to get their bolt cutters around that.....

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

i use the Kryptonite D lock with cable. both have been perfect and lasted well.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Which one? There are several different models.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Raph wrote:Glad to see the hinged bar type lock in action - was that the 3-second one? :? I was almost considering getting one till I saw that!

3 seconds with the lock held in a bench vice using a mains powered grinder isn't really representative of the real world. I note the video didn't show any attempts to cut one on a locked bike - I think that would be significantly harder.

The other point I will note is that it was one of the cheaper Bordos with thinner, narrower bars (& probably no as hard material) that doesn't claim to offer as much security (level 7 out of 15) compared to the Granit-X version (level 15).

It hasn't been put to the test yet but I'm happy with the (probable) level of security balanced against the weight & convenience - the most secure lock in the world isn't much use if it is too much hassle to carry. At the moment my Bordo is living in its case on one of the bottle cage mounts so is always there if I need it & the added weight is low and central - I can't say I've noticed it there while riding. On a longer ride I may well put the bottle cage back & take a different (or no) lock depending on where I'm going & how long I'm gone for.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:On a longer ride I may well put the bottle cage back & take a different (or no) lock depending on where I'm going & how long I'm gone for.

Rick.

sounds like a good idea cos you may need some water.

I'm not a great fan of stuff that appropriates a bottle - "clever" things that some racers carry that use a bottle to carry tools etc.

I was well known for a while amongst my cycling group for refusing some water to a minimalist who had come out one one of my rides with no water. More than one person said they would have done the same.

sorry, it's early, feeling a bit groggy.

all the best rick
Sweep