Lowering gearing. Which mechs?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CREPELLO

Re: Lowering gearing. Which mechs?

Post by CREPELLO »

jamesofyorkshire wrote:Yes.....HG50 11-30 9-speed cassette.
Odd that. I don't recall seeing them before and they don't appear widely available (ebay turns up 0 results, as does CRC). When did they first come out I wonder?
markfh

Post by markfh »

Rose bikes have a Shimano HG50 11-30 9-speed cassette on their website (http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-cs-hg50-9-speed-cassette/aid:642720).
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice. Interesting stuff.

Brucey - I hear what you're saying about the frame. I do check it .....and the fact that it's getting on a bit is why I'm trying to rearrange the gearing on the cheap! Then again, if I get decent products, I can use them on the next bike (maybe).

One last question.......it's mainly a lower granny that I'm wanting, for times when I'm totally beat and I have that last hill to get over on my way home, and I don't have any more energy to get off the seat.....we've all been there - grinding away....so the question is, as my front mech is working with all three front rings at the moment, 28-38-48...........can I swap out the 28 for a 24? Will the chain drop onto it OK? I hear what you're saying about the big ring - don't go smaller....but is going smaller with the granny OK?
jamesofyorkshire

Spa have the 11-30 too...........and I'm close by........
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Fourteen teeth is a fair drop. The chain will drop down alright, but getting it back onto the middle ring might be a challenge, especially if your front mech is indexed. But it may work. I've got mech's to work with that spacing. It'll be 50/50 whether it will work. Just like with the example of my bike, you'll be pushing the envelope but you may strike lucky. Nobody can tell you for sure though.

Also, is the mech as low as possible, because if it isn't you'll also get chain rattle on the front mech when in the smaller cogs.

Re, the 11-30 9 speed cassette - well I learn something new everyday. I'd still love someone to tell me how long it's been about. Sheldon has a long list of cassettes, as does Weight Weenies, neither of which mention this rare beast. Just double check the ratios with Spa, because the Rose website was quoting some pretty odd jumps that I wouldn't be happy with (tho probably a typo).
Sum

Post by Sum »

The HG50 11-30t is listed on CRC under road Tiagra not MTB Deore:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

The Shimano techdocs list the ratios as being 11-12-14-16-18-20-23-26-30 i.e. the 15t listed on the Rose Bikes website must be a typo.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/CS/EV-CS-HG50-9-1880C_v1_m56577569830799948.pdf

The pdf is dated April 2012 so the 11-30t as been around for a couple of years at least.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Ah, so it's associated with compact drivetrains.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

jamesofyorkshire wrote: .so the question is, as my front mech is working with all three front rings at the moment, 28-38-48...........can I swap out the 28 for a 24? Will the chain drop onto it OK? I hear what you're saying about the big ring - don't go smaller....but is going smaller with the granny OK?

I would say probably yes it is, capacity wise. Most double chainring mechs will handle 14T OK and most triple mechs have a larger capacity than that. You might find that you can't easily run small-small but that is no great loss.

Regarding the small to middle shift, rightly or wrongly I think it'll be OK. There is an argument that anytime the middle ring is larger than the average of the other two, you stand a fair chance of hooking the chain onto the middle ring before it gets pushed onto the big ring. There is a lot more to it than that but I think it'll be OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm happily using a 52/39/24 triple with an Ultegra 6603 front shifter. I mostly ride in the 52/39 but when and if I hit 30% gradients then the 24 tooth granny is very helpful. The stops on the front deraillier needed tweaking to stop the chain from coming off when dropping down to 24 but the adjustment was only minor. I don't ride with a laden bike, just me (100kg) and a small saddlebag. :D
jamesofyorkshire

OK. Thanks again for all the input. I'll try a smaller inner chainring. I'll update this thread when I've done so. It's not likely to be in the next few days!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Brucey wrote:
jamesofyorkshire wrote: .so the question is, as my front mech is working with all three front rings at the moment, 28-38-48...........can I swap out the 28 for a 24? Will the chain drop onto it OK? I hear what you're saying about the big ring - don't go smaller....but is going smaller with the granny OK?

I would say probably yes it is, capacity wise. Most double chainring mechs will handle 14T OK and most triple mechs have a larger capacity than that. You might find that you can't easily run small-small but that is no great loss.

Regarding the small to middle shift, rightly or wrongly I think it'll be OK. There is an argument that anytime the middle ring is larger than the average of the other two, you stand a fair chance of hooking the chain onto the middle ring before it gets pushed onto the big ring. There is a lot more to it than that but I think it'll be OK.

cheers

I have this arrangement and it works fine. I did post earlier to advise you to do this!!! I had 22/38/48 for a while but that was a jump too far. I have a similar arrangement on my audax bike but 24/39/50 and that works fine too. 24t rings can be got cheap and as it's the least used chainring you'll Get away with a cheap one. And it needs no ramps etc.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
jamesofyorkshire

Thanks fatboy. I know you said it earlier......I should have checked back through the answers.