Integrated helmet lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Raph

Re: Integrated helmet lights

Post by Raph »

Elizabethsdad wrote:Mounting stuff on helmets is going to be discussed at the BPCC AGM next month - cameras and lights - due to safety concerns in the event of a head impact. Would be interesting to know if there have been any cases where someone has sustained a head injury because of an extra lump on their helmet. I will confess to having a helmet light myself as a secondary light to the main lights on the bike.

I'm not so worried about the light breaking up the helmet, I reckon in a bad crash it would break up itself - BUT that is still significant as having sharp pieces of broken plastic about my face while crashing isn't an appealing prospect. With that in mind I might mount it a bit higher.

I SOOO wish I'd found this a year ago! Not that messing about with LEDs wasn't a load of fun, but I've got plenty else to do! The only thing I miss about the "integrated" system was that it didn't stick out so could go unnoticed when locking the helmet with the bike, but this is easily removable so I have to keep it with me and carry it around. Maybe the next step is to design "quick-release" clips for it... (a tinkerer... MOI???)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Haven't sustained injury but did develop Shermer's Neck on recent 1000k trot. Weight of light (Decathlon 3xAAA effort Velcro'd on top) certainly contributed.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Raph

Post by Raph »

Audax67 wrote:Haven't sustained injury but did develop Shermer's Neck on recent 1000k trot. Weight of light (Decathlon 3xAAA effort Velcro'd on top) certainly contributed.

That's why I like head torches with the batteries at the back, even if they're a bit fiddlier to tie on.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Elizabethsdad wrote:Mounting stuff on helmets is going to be discussed at the BPCC AGM next month.

Would that be Bossier Park Community College, British-Polish (or -Portuguese) Chamber of Commerce, Brighton Pier Cycling Club, Birkenhead Park Cricket Club, or British Pedal Car Championship? :wink: (And I only made one of those up!)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Raph

Post by Raph »

CJ wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:Mounting stuff on helmets is going to be discussed at the BPCC AGM next month.

Would that be Bossier Park Community College, British-Polish (or -Portuguese) Chamber of Commerce, Brighton Pier Cycling Club, Birkenhead Park Cricket Club, or British Pedal Car Championship? :wink: (And I only made one of those up!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the Bedazzlement Protocol Complaints Committee... of course!