RESOLVED - Soma Frame fault

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bealer

RESOLVED - Soma Frame fault

Post by bealer »

Summary:

Soma sent me a new frame within 7 weeks of reporting the issue. I was a little impatient in some regards, but it was all handled well and professionally. To anyone considering a Soma, the warranty process works and does so very well. A happy UKSoma owner.

=============

Hey all,

I've noticed on one of my rear brake bosses, that it's splitting away from the frame slightly (see photo below). If I apply sideways force to it, it does have a little movement, but only fractional. It still feels strong and doesn't look like it'll break off any time soon.

Anyway, my question is
a) is it safe (long term)
b) the frame is under warranty, would you send it back to be fixed?

It's a Soma so under 3 year warranty (currently just under 2 years old). I'm going to contact them, but just wanted to know if it's a common thing and nothing to worry about (or not). It's just going to be a pain as I'll no doubt have to strip the bike completely.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by bealer on 15 Apr 2014, 2:15pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brucey

Re: Slight crack on brake boss

Post by Brucey »

if it really is moving then the answers to your questions are

a) No, and
b) yes

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I just tried this on my bikes.
Place your finger across the boss where it joins the fork / stay, grip the brake lever firmly and feel it move :?
You can just see the bosses twisting on quality frames.
Cheaper unbranded frames resemble simulated rubber, I have noticed before today.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Is it the case that the brake fixing bolt is bottoming out on the fork leg so that as it is tightened it is prizing the boss off the frame? If so, there is nothing wrong with the frame but is a case of 'bad user installation', ie. the fixing bolts are too long.

You can sometimes get the same thing with braze on tabs for downtube cable guides and where the fixing bolts being used are too long.
I should coco.
bealer

Post by bealer »

No, I can see from the other side of the boss (via the sort of gap/hole most bosses seem to have) that the screw isn't near the frame.

When I squeeze the rear brake, with my thumb gently over the crack, I can feel it move a fraction. Like a hair width but there's definitely a tiny bit of movement. I can't detect a twist or the type of movement, just that whatever it is, is fractional movement.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Actually, I don't know if you can see from how the light sits in the photo, but the seatstay tube isn't quite circular where the boss sits. It feels like it's dented in, or mis-shaped slightly.

I've compared it with the other seatstay and it's not like this. Nor are any of the other bikes in the house. If the tube has lost structure, then it will have affected the weld of the boss.

I think I'll definitely have to look into sending it back.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Is it right or is it wrong?
.....it certainly can't be both!
Can you get a sliver of paper into the gap?
If you bought the whole bike, why should you dismantle it?
BTW, Your claim is against the retailer, not the manufacturer.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Yeah I can poke a piece of paper in the crack no problem.

It was a self build :/
And, yeah I'd normally go back to the retailer, but they're no longer around :/

The manufacturer has responded already, put me in touch (Soma are US based) with the UK distributor.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd definitely say get it looked at even though it might involve some faffing about. Although you write as though you are quite relaxed about it, you are sufficiently concerned to take a pic and ask. If it were me, it would be niggling me so much I'd never enjoy riding that bike for thinking about it. It's not as though brakes are there for decoration.
bealer

Post by bealer »

:) no, it's really annoying me already. I'll be borrowing my old Croix De Fer off my brother to ride until it all gets sorted!
bealer

Post by bealer »

Given it looks like the seatstay has been slightly crushed by the brake boss, any ideas how it'd be repaired? Is it unreasonable to expect a new seatstay? I'm assuming that would be a fairly complicated job. Especially to get the right tubing (tange prestige).

If they did replace the seatstay does that mean the whole frame would have to be repainted, or can they just repaint a portion?

Just wondering the amount of work that might be involved. Or if asking for a replacement frame is easier.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

who would SOMA get to repair your frame? They are made in Taiwan; I would expect you to get another frame if the warranty claim is accepted.

They may not accept your warranty claim for some reason, e.g. that they think you have clattered the brake boss or something. I'm sure that your experiences will be of interest to others here.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

Should be a fairly easy job for a competent frame repairer, they will need to strip the paint from around the area first though.

Have a look for a local frame builder and get a quote.

Cr-Mo frames weld very well.
bealer

Post by bealer »

I got in contact with a London based frame repairer. If the seatstay does need replacing, given they can't tube match (to Tange Prestige) they'd replace both seatstays so they match. Also the repairer mentioned my frame was tig welded (he only brazes) so he'd need to redo the rear dropout too. Fairly costly basically.

I'll wait on Soma. I just hope it takes a matter of days to weeks, rather than weeks to months to sort :/
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

If the brake boss is breaking away from the tube there is no need to replace the seat stay. It is a comparatively simple and cheap job to remove and replace the boss. If a different sort is fitted you might want to do the other side at the same time. Cost probably about £30. This will disturb the paint for 5 or 6 inches either side of the work, perhaps less, so depending on how attached to the frame you are this could be painted over rather than a complete respray.

of course I understand that you should not have to do any of this because the responsibility lies with Soma, but the practicalities of time etc come into the equation as well.