RESOLVED - Soma Frame fault

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bealer

Re: Slight crack on brake boss

Post by bealer »

I also noticed the seatstay isn't quite round where the brake boss sits. In fact running my finger along it, you can feel it is dented/crushed in slightly. You may be able to see a little from how the light sits on it in the photo. It's like the force of braking is pushing into the seatstay tube and changing it's circular shape. The seatstay and boss on the opposite side aren't like this at all. They're nice and round with now cracks etc...

It's probably nothing hugely dangerous. But it could be the start of a potential frame fail somewhere down the line. So I'm not sure re-brazing the boss would solve the issue entirely. And also given it's only 18 months old, I'd rather just have a frame where everything feels and looks correct. So either a full repair or more simply a replacement.
bealer

Post by bealer »

* I've added some better pics to the original post to put some better context on the issue. The crack should be easier to see. As should the dent from how the line of light runs along the seat stay.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bealer wrote:* I've added some better pics to the original post to put some better context on the issue. The crack should be easier to see. As should the dent from how the line of light runs along the seat stay.

oooh errrr, that is pretty kippered.... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

I'd send the photos to the Soma UK distributor if you get no luck through the retailer.

You can see that the tig weld has come away from the tube, tig welds are pretty strong if done correctly. I wonder if the rear end took a knock when the frame was in transit.

Worth taking it to a tig welder if you can't get a warranty replacement.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

It looks to me from the second photo that the tube might have cracked at the join, rather than the boss just peeling away - note the very dark shadow that suggests looking through the split, into the tube.

In which case, the seat stay needs replacing surely. In theory.

Anyway, In reality I'm sure that as long as you can prove that no damage has occurred through normal (reasonable) use or mis-use, they will simply replace the frame as the most economic option for them. That happened to me when the rear brake bridge join developed a crack. A simple repair for a frame builder, but not for Dawes, alas.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Still waiting on Soma :/

There's a bike fare on in Taiwan, so I think a lot of the non-US rep's are busy (the US staff have responded a couple of times). I think there may only be one guy that looks after the UK side of things. Will keep the thread updated as the process goes along so anyone potentially interested in a Soma can see how it's handled.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Is the frame aluminium? If so, I doubt if anyone the manufacturer will bother to repair it. If the original boss was welded on it cannot be welded again in hte same place. I am not a welding expert but I think that is the case. If the claim is accepted under warrantee, then I would think a replacement frame would be in order.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
bealer

Post by bealer »

It's steel (Tange Prestige). So repairable, but given the seat stay has gone out of shape a bit, it may be easiest just to get a replacement.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Not easy to tell from photo, is there a hole in the stay under the boss? Either way it needs sorting properly if it's been overheated on assembly of the frame and more so if there's a hole underneath, the whole seatstay could be compromised , welders who know what they are doing always use the minimum amount of heat to reduce the heat affected area, too much heat compromises the structure of the metal. This is why some high end Lugged Steel frames were (are?) Silver soldered not braised as the Heat involved is lower for Silver Solder .
bealer

Post by bealer »

Just as an update. A mixture of the Taipei Bike Show (Soma being made there) and emails getting muddled as spam caused the delays.

I spoke to the UK distributor for Soma. Very helpful and very friendly, he's got things in motion. Handily, there's a Soma authorised retailer a stone's throw away from me, so I'll be stripping the frame and taking it there for them to confirm the fault later this week.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Another update just to keep any potential Soma buyers informed.

I took the bike to Mosquito Bikes in Islington and the fault was confirmed by them. That was about a month ago now. So it's currently been 46 days since I raised the issue but still no official confirmation on if I'll get a replacement or if I will, nothing on when or what it'll be.
mrjemm

Re: Frame fault (cracked brake boss) on Soma Double Cross

Post by mrjemm »

Keep us informed, I'd be interested to hear what happens. I'd be most surprised if a replacement frame isn't the result, though I wonder if they'll try to say you've damaged the frame, as possibly suggested by the denting on the outside of the stay.

As an aside, the Double Cross is a nice looking bike (though I am a disc fan and would go for that version, though if I was mega rich I'd go for the stunning Triple Cross...) and I'd be interested how you've found it, and how it compares to the Croix de Fer, which is so very popular here. I gather (from your text, etc.) you moved away from discs, if you went from a Croix de Fer (really frustrating that I can't refer to CdF, seeing as Genesis named a seperate, if same framed, model that) to a V-braked DC, if I am not mistaken.
bealer

Post by bealer »

I've got some pics of the frame when I first received it and it's possible to make out something not quite right with that brake boss. I just never paid attention to it, so I should be covered in that regard.

Argh the old disc decision. It's still haunting me now! I like discs, they're easy to set up and adjust, more so than v's or canti's. And they work great, no travel agents needed too. The cable routing is nice and clean. But... I do enjoy the comfort and feel of a nice curved fork. Not to mention a canti set up works out cheaper and much lighter.

So, I'll probably stick with v's or maybe actually move back to canti's as travel agents are a bit of a faff. I figure they both stop me pretty well or well enough that I can enjoy a curved fork.

The Soma frame, aside from this issue is very nice. I do miss a nice Reynolds custom build like my gf's Bob Jackson though. All the little detailing and cable runners etc. But I'm still very happy with my Soma.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yeah, it is a dilemma, isn't it? I run discs on several of my MTBs and they have a lot going for them there. But on the road... hmmm, not so much. Maybe if I'm lugging a load and I'm running fat tyres anyway, the fork stiffness wouldn't be so bad.

But for simple practicality in day-to-day road riding I quite like drums (no issues with bending discs or contamination etc) and for 'enjoying a nice lightweight' then I still like the ride of frames with rim brakes.

Just an excuse for N+1 really, isn't it....? :wink:

Hope you get the frame sorted out OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bealer

Post by bealer »

I've been in touch with Soma again. The delay was due to compassionate reasons so understandable. I should have a new frame on Wednesday! With matching forks (I previously used a pair of LHT forks) which was also included at a reduced cost. So all in I'm very happy, less than two months to sort a warranty issue and they've come up trumps. Was given a range of Double Cross colours and frame types to pick from, so excellent work Soma.

It's a bit of a faff being an American based company but I wouldn't let it deter anyone. The guy that runs the UK side of things is very enthusiastic and quick and getting a resolution.

I'll update with a pic when I get the frame :)