30s Sun pre strip-down photos

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
breakwellmz

30s Sun pre strip-down photos

Post by breakwellmz »

I have at last made a start on this.
I thought these may be of interest to some.
Surprised to see that the front brake lever is on the left,and the more powerful brake is on the rear.
Certain parts have been covered in thick black`goo`which is now very hard,as is whatever has been used to cover sections of the bars.I did think about using paint brush cleaner on these parts,any thoughts on that?
Rear hub is a SA KS4 3 speed,brakes Resilion.
Attachments
SUN Pre stripdown 004 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 012 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 008 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 006 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 001 (Small).jpg
Brucey

Re: 30s Sun pre strip-down photos

Post by Brucey »

interesting..... what size tyres are fitted?

And what is going on with the rear wheel spoke crossings.....?.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Anyone seen owt like that before?

Is that to tether/catch broken spokes or something like that? What happens at the ends of the catcher wire?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi.

26x1 1/4".

It was black painted electric cable tied around the spokes near the hubs.The spokes,tyres/tubes and chain have been the only things to go into the bin,and i expect that to be it.
More photos?-
Attachments
SUN Pre stripdown 016 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 014 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 017 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 005 (Small).jpg
SUN Pre stripdown 003 (Small).jpg
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

That`s better :D

The bars are light(18g tube)but the shape seems so strange,very narrow as well.No scrapes or dents,but the nickel plating varies a huge amount.
The bars had a coats of black gloss,white emulsion,fabric tape,pvc tape and what seemed like a thick coating of very hard but brittle bitumen!The stems weren`t as bad.26,4mm seatpost.
The Resilion brakes and cables took ages to dismantle enough to remove-lots of bits and pieces!
Attachments
SUN BARS 002 (Small).jpg
RJS

Post by RJS »

Hi breakwelllmz,
from memories of a book my father had when I was a kid, I think the handlebars might be Lauter Wasers, I'm sure that's not how you spell it :shock: :? I have dads "fixed" Hawkes in the shed, built in '38, that has a side pull brake on the left, better for a right hand signal? and a Resilion has been added to the rear, a friend has suggested that they are just too complicated, and not that effective :cry:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Soma's modern version of the Lauterwasser bend

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/lauterwasser-crmo-handlebar

Apparently you can get them in aluminium too!

I quite like the shape myself; I think it suits older frames with slack angles and short top tubes, which otherwise gives a very short reach. The slopey bit of the tops looks like it might be quite comfy too.

cheers
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

RJS-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lauterwasser

Brucey-You know all that already :)

Mine are 41cm wide,a fair bit less than modern ones.I wonder if they came in different widths originally,probably not.
`Original`ones do seem to come in different shapes,compare these to mine.

Aluminium :shock:
Attachments
30s Bars.jpg
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Do tell me if this is getting boring :)

`Clip`headset.Not looked at one in detail before,more sophisticated than i thought they would be.
No drilling for a brake in the fork crown,just a tapped blind hole for mudguard attachment.Looking at the 1935 catalogue,most are rear brake only,actuated from the RH side of the bars.

BIG news for 1935(Is that the right way `round?)-
Attachments
SUN BARS 008 (Small).jpg
SUN BARS 001 (Small).jpg
SUN BARS 002 (Small).jpg
SUN BARS 005 (Small) (2).jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I find it interesting that the mudguards were a good length and were safely mounted, too.

Both things appear to have escaped many later cycle designers....

cheers
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

breakwellmz wrote:Do tell me if this is getting boring ...........-

This is not - repeat NOT - getting boring.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Thanks for that :D

There`s more.....

The taper of the frame tubes can be seen a bit more clearly here-
Top tube- 7/8" to 1 1/4"
Seat tube-1 1/4" to 1 3/8"
Down tube-1" to 1 3/8"

The head tube lugs appear to incorporate headrace`holders`despite appearing to be pressed in cups.
Attachments
Sun Frame 003 (Small).jpg
Sun Frame 002 (Small).jpg
Sun Frame 001 (Small).jpg
Sun Frame 007 (Small).jpg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Really interesting :-) ...it's going to be a nice-looking bike when yer dun :-)
Don't take offence now, but does your camera have a macro setting for those close-ups? ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

wow, tapered tubes!

Nice! Don't go denting those, I doubt you'll get any more like that!

If you have a tapered (or variably butted) tube in a frameset it doesn't much matter which way round it is fitted in terms of the torsional stiffness of the resultant assembly. However the way the assembly moves in bending is sensitive to this. I can see the argument for having a smaller tube diameter at the headstock; this might take a bit of sting out of the roads by adding to the flex in the fork. Likewise stiffening up the BB area like that is a smart move too.

Bring back tapered tubes! :lol:

BTW it was only a few years later that they revised the 'HM' tubing composition to become '531'. I have no idea what the exact differences would be though. The fork profile looks very similar to some 531 blades I have seen.

Also, looking at the catalogue pages it looks to me that the older (?) model is fitted with a bulky glass reflector on the seat stay, where the newer model looks to be fitted with a much smaller one, which I would presume was a then new-fangled prismatic type.

cheers
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

simonineaston wrote:Really interesting :-) ...it's going to be a nice-looking bike when yer dun :-)
Don't take offence now, but does your camera have a macro setting for those close-ups? ;-)

No offence taken.
That was using the macro setting.I wasn`t using the flash so the exposure was probably longer,needing a steadier hand.I should have re-taken them but i was too bloody cold!
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Brucey wrote:wow, tapered tubes!

Nice! Don't go denting those, I doubt you'll get any more like that!

If you have a tapered (or variably butted) tube in a frameset it doesn't much matter which way round it is fitted in terms of the torsional stiffness of the resultant assembly. However the way the assembly moves in bending is sensitive to this. I can see the argument for having a smaller tube diameter at the headstock; this might take a bit of sting out of the roads by adding to the flex in the fork. Likewise stiffening up the BB area like that is a smart move too.

Bring back tapered tubes! :lol:

BTW it was only a few years later that they revised the 'HM' tubing composition to become '531'. I have no idea what the exact differences would be though. The fork profile looks very similar to some 531 blades I have seen.

Also, looking at the catalogue pages it looks to me that the older (?) model is fitted with a bulky glass reflector on the seat stay, where the newer model looks to be fitted with a much smaller one, which I would presume was a then new-fangled prismatic type.

cheers

I must have taken a lot longer to manufacture than a`standard`frame.I`ve not been able to findany reference to this taper tube model,nor is it in the 1934 or`35 Sun catalogues i have.
They also say the more new`upright`frame has angles of 63 degrees compared to 68,or am i miss-reading it?