Handlebar failure how long should a pair of bars last

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
velorog

Re: Handlebar failure HOw long should a pair of bars last

Post by velorog »

I had my bars break at the stem without warning while on tour in Switzerland. As it happened on the first day after less than a couple of hours riding I could only assume that they had received a bash while in-transit. I fly with my bike in an unpadded bag.
Most bike shops close on a Sunday and Monday so I had to continue riding for two days before I found a shop that was open. Crossing Zurich on a busy weekday with only half a bar was not the sort of excitement I had been seeking.
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

IMG_7535_1.JPG

Cycling home the other night, I slowed at a give way sign and my handlebars did just that – gave way, just as I came to a halt. Imagine what might have happened had they parted company ten hours previously (as I swooped downhill over a sleeping policeman at 40 mph)?

Reviewing the history, the ‘bars had done 48,000 miles over 17 years and endured several minor crashes. The bar (Cinelli Giro d'Italia 26.4mm) has an external sleeve to reinforce the centre clamp section. It looks like the original crack was on the underside just at the edge of the sleeve. It has then fatigued and eventually failed when I pulled it upwards.

The chump in charge of maintenance had waived replacement opportunities (after all, why spend £40 fixing something that isn’t broken?), despite making his living as a professional engineer. There must be a moral to this story......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief! :shock: :shock:

I have Cinelli 64's and they've been used extensively for nearly 30years. I have no intention of changing them despite your horrific tale.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

:shock: :shock:

just added to the hit list;

'inspect all my old Cinelli handlebars'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

so okey dokey.......here's a question.....does anyone ride using carbon 'bars?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I had a similar handlebar to Arto's that began to creak slightly,initially I thought it was the quill stem in the steerer but as it continued after removing and regreasing it with copper grease,I bought new and replaced the offending article.
Not worth the risk,just not worth to potential pain and suffering or worse.
The kind of logic that says it's been OK for 20 odd years so it'll be OK for another twenty isn't logic IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:
I also think you will usually know if you sweat a lot into the bar tape ever.

I certainly sweat into my tape a lot more when touring than in more racy modes!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mig wrote:so okey dokey.......here's a question.....does anyone ride using carbon 'bars?

Yes i do! Combined with a ti stem with a very wide clamp. They recommend checking for damage regularly and replacement if there is any sign of abrasion. I wouldn't put them on one of my tourers, (many pro teams have reverted to Al due to replacement costs but they do crash more than most people! :lol: ) they are on my mostly carbon sportive machine that doesn't really see a particularly hard life - its not seen the outside world since September and won't again until nearly Easter! 8)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mig

Post by mig »

^^ as a matter of interest - how much do they (feel like they) bend if you're honking up a steepish hill?