Shoe glue

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hackfall

Shoe glue

Post by Hackfall »

I have some old Gaerne road shoes, leather upper, wooden last, plastic base where the look cleat is attached. Thought I would dig them out to wear the other day, they should have plenty of life in them but then found the plastic base flapped away almost completely from the rest of the shoe, the glue has given out. they are attached at the heel still. So I am after advice, best glue to use. I could go to a cobblers but my concern is they might use glue that is not water resistant enough, so if I can get a decent glue and clamp it together myself its maybe a better bet.
cycleruk

Re: Shoe glue

Post by cycleruk »

I glued a pair of Adidas shoes a few years ago with Evo-Stick impact adhesive. The soles were coming away from the uppers and they have lasted surprisingly well. The soles are some form of plastic and the uppers probably as well. Had them on today and still going strong.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Si

Post by Si »

I repaired a pair with standard bostik...lasted about four months before they started to slowly part company with their soles again. Will try 2pak epoxy next time.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Shoe goo. It's good enough for skateboarders to drag all over their sandpapered wooden wheelie boards it's good enough for cycling shoes. Flexible, waterproof and tough
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

cycleruk wrote:I glued a pair of Adidas shoes a few years ago with Evo-Stick impact adhesive. The soles were coming away from the uppers and they have lasted surprisingly well. The soles are some form of plastic and the uppers probably as well. Had them on today and still going strong.

second time i have had a recommendation for that glue for other purposes too so I'll get myself a tube. now to beg borrow and steal some clamps to hold it together.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Hackfall wrote:
cycleruk wrote:I glued a pair of Adidas shoes a few years ago with Evo-Stick impact adhesive. The soles were coming away from the uppers and they have lasted surprisingly well. The soles are some form of plastic and the uppers probably as well. Had them on today and still going strong.

second time i have had a recommendation for that glue for other purposes too so I'll get myself a tube. now to beg borrow and steal some clamps to hold it together.

I don't remember exactly how I did mine, it was a long time ago.
You coat both surfaces and wait until the adhesive dries. Then just "roll" the the two surfaces together, to squeeze out any air. Whether clamping will make a better adhesion I don't know.
Another option is superglue, but that doesn't work on certain plastics. It is supposed to work with leather.

Just had another look at the shoes and I may have even run a "fillet" of superglue along the edges as well?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Aldi are selling this next week:-
http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesiv ... -glue.html

Other places will stock it as well, of course.
No idea if it's suitable for the shoes but it says "waterproof".